Fish Kill- Port Stanley to Rondeau

jeffbrick

Sounds like a pretty big fish kill. It is a bit scary that this kill seems to have affected multiple species.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/article/1250979--tens-of-thousands-of-dead-fish-rotting-on-lake-erie-shore

If you go to the link there is a picture. Here is the text from the news report:

Tens of thousands of dead fish rotting on Lake Erie shore
Published 1 hours, 27 minutes ago
Share on twitterShare on facebook Dead fish on Lake Erie shore
Ministry of the Environment So far it appears thousands of fish may have died from the affects of a naturally occurring lake inversion rather than a spill, but the Ontario Ministry of Environment says an investigation is continuing. Richard J. Brennan
National Affairs Writer

2 Comments
Tens of thousands of rotting fish are lining a 40-kilometre stretch of shoreline along Lake Erie, reports the provincial environment ministry, which is investigating the cause.

A spokesperson for the Ontario Ministry of Environment said Tuesday the kill was reported on the weekend. So far it appears the fish may have died from the affects of a naturally occurring lake inversion rather than a spill, but cautioned the investigation is continuing.

The question now is which agency is responsible for cleaning up the rotting carcasses of thousands of yellow perch, carp, sheepshead, catfish, big head buffalo and suckers, which kept untold beachgoers from enjoying their Labour Day weekend.

“It (the water) was quite putrid really … I had never experienced anything like this,” said Neville Knowles, of London, Ont. and cottager at Rondeau Provincial Park for more than 50 years.

The dead fish stretch from west of the fishing village of Port Stanley in Elgin County to the village of Morpeth in Chatham-Kent or just east of Rondeau.

“There was a significant number of fish, tens of thousands,” the environment ministry’s Kate Jordan told the Star.

Jordan said the ministry officials took fish and water samples for analysis, “but all observations made at the site … did not show anything unusual and we did not see any evidence of … a spill to the lake or man-made pollution … so we are considering natural causes, including a lake inversion.”

She explained that an inversion happens when the surface water cools down dramatically, sinks and displaces the bottom layer, which has lower oxygen content. As the bottom layer is displaced, it rises and robs fish of oxygen needed to survive. The phenomenon is also referred to as the lake “rolling over.”

Even so, some residents are suspicious just the same that run-off from a large pig operation along the stretch may have caused the fish to die, said Knowles, who quickly added there is nothing to support that position.

“At this time of the years it is common to get lake turnover or lake inversion and you usually do get a few fish killed … but this smell smelled like a sewer … and on top of the water there was a brown kind of milky film that was at the water’s edge,” said Knowles, who first noticed the smell Friday.

He said after he took a dip Friday afternoon he quickly took a shower to wash to smell away.

The bulk of the fish washed up on shore east of the Rondeau. In some spots, the fish were piled on top of each other.

Jordan said it has not yet been decided which agency, federal, provincial or local agency will have to foot the cleanup bill.

“We are having discussions with Environment Canada, the health unit and natural resources about that now,” she said.

Wow,reminds me of the botulism that killed off huge #s of smallmouth back in,I think 98,99year.It could be algae rottin from the deadzones out in lake erie which uses up oxygen as it decays,like leaves at the dump in autumn,they rot in a heap using oxygen,smoldering out carbon dioxide.All that summer heat too,heating the lake,you could sense somethin was gona give in shallow erie...not good but the lakes been through it before and survived.

Central basin deadzone,most likely cause,happens almost every year. http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/6159/Default.aspx

Last reply,I know this bad press for commercial fishin and tourism down there. Cnn,cbc reporting the mess also... I found this comment on cbc comment board by doverboy eyewitness to the shore mess. It sounds biblical. Quoting doverboy..."I was at clearville beach on the weekend. The wind died down friday night and on saturday morning the shore was filled with dead fish. I estimate in the 2mile stretch west of clearville there are tens of millions of dead fish if you count the minnows as well. There were massive floating mats of dead fish offshore".

OMG,this is crazy without any man made polution ie. a spill this may not have happened before in Canada. I am scared that somthing is wrong with lake Erie. I was camping, swimming and fishing their this summer and their was a bad smell. I have never seen this is Lake O. I am surprized there is not more conversation about this, fish die off woke up who towns ect...

Lake St.Clair is no deeper than 20 some odd feet. the only die offs we get is musky getting caught in nets in the thames.
i find it very weird that lake erie would get warm enough to kill all of these fish.
i cant help but think that something else happend

This is not a new thing guys, it has happened numerous times over the years at various areas in the Central Basin on both sides of the lake. Google 'Lake Erie Fish Die off' and read the past articles. This die off was actually very wide spread and covered from Port Glasgow all the way to Port Stanley so it seems unlikely that a spill would have been responsible. The flip was very evident last weekend by the disappearance of the thermocline (which was obvious when running a depth raider). Lake Erie and Ontario flip almost evry year but the Central Basin just happens to be affected more by this phenomenon since it is the perfect depth to cause hell with fish population when it happens.

The link posted above provides a very good explanation from the Ohio DNR which is one of the better ones I've seen but I'm sure the conspiracy theories will carry on despite the science. Here is the link again, take a few minutes to read it:

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/tabid/6159/Default.aspx

[}:)]there has always and will always be a dead zone in erie fact of life the kill depends on location its naturall so why try to make more out of this[:X][:X][:X][?][?][?][?]

hey i am sure you guys are right. i have no education in this field and i can not speak with confidence on the matter.
i am just saying in the great lakes chain it seems to me there is way more volnerable places for something like you are explaining to happen.
Maybe St.clair has the same oxygen content from top to bottom.

I disagree above reply... that the greatlakes are more prone to fishkills. Redtides or harmful algal blooms(habs)in the oceans,2percent of the 5000species are capable of producing dangerous fumes toxins,poisons that are dangerous to breath,eatin toxic shellfish can paralize a human. I.E. Off the coast of france people passed out from toxic fumes from redtides. Florida 100 or more dolphins were killed by hab toxins etc. They say the erie dieoff was a temperature turnover and that's what I will believe! nothing more. Oceans are much more vast and dangerous,in my opinion than the great lakes.

quote:
Originally posted by jayway

hey i am sure you guys are right. i have no education in this field and i can not speak with confidence on the matter.
i am just saying in the great lakes chain it seems to me there is way more volnerable places for something like you are explaining to happen.
Maybe St.clair has the same oxygen content from top to bottom.

Read the report on the link provided....it explains why the Central Basin is more prone to this than shallower or deeper lakes...it kind of makes sense...

8why keep harping on this tis morn tugs returned to port after extensive search no fish [:I]the lake turned over and oyxgen was used up so we lost fish 8some other parts of the lake have fish but not in the zone were the fish died so lets put it to rest fellas ok :(:(8

quote:
Originally posted by fisherman

8why keep harping on this tis morn tugs returned to port after extensive search no fish [:I]the lake turned over and oyxgen was used up so we lost fish 8some other parts of the lake have fish but not in the zone were the fish died so lets put it to rest fellas ok :(:(8

You don't have to read it if you don't want to....your choice.

quote:
Originally posted by fisherman

Tugs were looking in the wrong places...Lots of perch out there!!:D:Dand eyes too.8Dfilled my cooler on Monday fishing with line and hook. Watched the tugs roaming the lake [?][?][?][?]not even close to where I was. You talk in riddles most of the time fisherman but I have also been on the lake for many years. However in this case I agree with you....the lake flipped nothing more.

hey guys thats why i get in on these discussions, is to educate myself.
thanks for the threads i gave them a read and it makes sense to me too.
Being a soldier i have been trained to trust my gut feeling and it has gotten me through a lot.
Therefore i poke and prod sometimes until im satisfied with a conclusion to a topic.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks