Divers have arrived in Long Point Bay

duckweed

Looked out my window this morning and there was a flock of at least 500 lifting off the water about a half a kilometer from shore aprox. off of Shady Acres. Too far to tell what they were but historically would say they were redheads and bluebills

Shot some scaup and bufflehead on the weekend, buddy said good amount of redheads came in to him Sunday.

Well i hunted Friday afternoon at the head of the bay saw tons of birds flying around they got 5 birds there wasnt much flying where we were .hunted Saturday got 8 but didnt see the big flocks out on the bay someone said they left Friday night ?? Anyone hear that ?

Hello Ship Wrecked,

I checked out the head of the bay on Saturday afternoon on the way back from the gym ... saw an empty bay for the most part.

Jerome

I think I speak for the majority of hunters at Long Point. Nobody wants to be hunting every week, waiting for new birds to show up - just for someone to post “the divers are here” on the internet... then the next week the unit is absolutely full of hunters. If you want to know the status of new birds... call the unit, or better yet; come see for yourself!

We call them folks that are too lazy to call the unit or go have a look see them selves internet scouters. If your too lazy to help your self then Your probably too lazy to hunt so stay home. Hahaha Just saying. ?

I live on the bay and look out my office window and see the birds here in the bay. Have been here for almost 40 years and have hunted them for a long time so tend to know what I am talking about. When I say there are birds in the bay I mean in the bay....I can see them out to Whitefish bar...bait island to some of you and there were thousands of them sitting off of the north shore yesterday afternoon. Just a few canvasbacks in small flocks floating around this afternoon that I can see

I'm not saying your information is incorrect I see it my self as I am in long point every weekend. I'm merely making a statement about guys who don't think they need to be out every weekend to see it for them selves only waiting for someone to post on the net that new birds have arrived. New birds are great to have but if your only committed to showing up when the hunting is easy then i guess you have other priorities other than improving your skills as a hunter.

Every hunter who hunts Long Point knows that there are some birds there right now, but if I'm out there every weekend waiting for new birds. I hate seeing posts that invite every internet scouter in Ontario down to kill some divers. After all, no public land hunter enjoys watching 10+ different groups show up to the unit just because of an internet post. I understand your post has good intentions; just kinda screws over some of the local hunters.

Not all of us can hunt all the time. Some of us can only make it out a couple days a season due to work,family or other commitments (life doesn’t revolve around waterfowl season for some of us) so it’s nice to see a post that’s there are birds in the area and if that works out for a day of hunting on a rare day off great. I live in Port Rowan so I can look for myself,others can’t. Keep the info flowing for those that only get certain days available to them to hunt!

What's the point of this forum if it's not to share information with like minded people.
More hunters in the unit increases revenue = good for the unit.
More hunters in the bay keeps the birds moving around equals more successful hunters. And that's good for all of us.
I am sure the guys in the unit love chatting about ducks. But really i think they have better things to do than field dozens of phone call about how good the hunting is today from guys that live in brantford or London or farther.
Nobody wants to drive down here to find out there's been no new birds here for a week or more, and the locals have shot at all of them By now.

So here's my report from the marsh.

Sunday was good. Got some reds, ring necks and a bbill. Mon just a few singles came in, bagged two. Tuesday and so far today nothing decoying and no flocks trading between the lake and the bay.
My dog is not happy with me this week.
Happy hunting.

Thanks for the report Fireram ..... I frequently check the forum and call the unit to see what divers are in. I drive about 800k to get to long point and have been doing so for the past 15 seasons. Only being able to hunt 4-5 days each season I rely on the forum and unit to schedule a trip there when the birds are in.

and there are many other good duck huntin choice locations if your willing to drive a little...Rondeau waterfowl unit for one....you can hunt the marsh or rondeau bay...check it out...I have had some fast limits on the shooting stakes there in past seasons..you need a boat to get to the stakes and its $20 per hunter...you want specifics send me a pm....or call down there..

it used to be experienced hunters sharing with fellow hunters...if your not getting what your looking for ...theres a time and a place....good luck ;)

Actually left the point this am to try rondeau. And maybe st Clair. I'll report if we find them.

Nope. NO birds on st Clair this afternoon.
Spoke with some guys that have been there all week and it's been slow since Sunday.

The weather has seemed like more of a normal fall than what we've had the last few years. Although some severe weather north west of us seems to have pushed them all down and out. There are still lots of ducks up on Lake Simcoe, Quinte and the Muskokas, and they're getting snow tomorrow. Could push them down. Too bad I despise hunting in the pouring rain... Lol!

Hello Guys,

There are lots of birds go go around ... have not seen a lot of birds from where I am until this past week but the unit has done very well this year. Put in your time either hunting or scouting and you will get birds.

Jerome

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks