Delta Waterfowl Survey

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I just completed the Delta Waterfowl Survey online and submitted the following comment at the end of the survey.

There should be a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to the ever increasing population of Tundra Swans as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment completed in 2013.

Furthermore the Trumpeter Swan population has been nearly doubling every ten (10) years for the last few decades ... perhaps there could be a small specific harvest of Trumpeters Swans from the Pacific Coast Population that apparently has reached their maximum of about 25,000 birds. They are not adding to this population ... only the Rocky Mountain Population and the Interior Population are expanding.

Consequently there should also be a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Alberta as per the Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans.

These are three (3) areas that Delta Waterfowl has fallen short of with its management policies.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I thought that you may be interested to know that the USFWS estimates that the Trumpeter Swan continental population is growing by 10,000 birds per year.

This report was included in the "Conservation Corner" department on page 12 in the June/July 2018 issue of Wildfowl Magazine (Vol 33 No 3).

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks