bug spray

midnight cowboy

some one mentioned a fly spray from tsc cant find thread or remember name help before I am eaten alive thanks in advance

We use the Bronco spray . Spray it on the floors when we pick up the boat to take to the lake . Only the floors because of some safety concerns . I feel a need to post the warning label on the back of the bottle as you will read and see .
Please use with caution .

DSC02854.JPG

Throw some regular brown Listerine in a spray bottle and spray on your socks, ankles, arms and whatever. Works!

I was told skin so soft from avon, never tried but was told it works great. Personally I do not go out fishing without runners and long pants to put on, I cant fish with the stable flies biting. They rarely bite my upper torso...

some one mentioned a fly spray from tsc cant find thread or remember name help before I am eaten alive thanks in advance
Some great reviews if you Google aborbine ultrashield. Seems like it's people and pet friendly compared to the Bronco. Brantford tsc said they had stock but when I got there today they were sold out. Kitchener tsc had 4 in stock but when I got there only 2 left. Hoping it works on the bitin little beggars.

Last edited:
I was told skin so soft from avon, never tried but was told it works great. Personally I do not go out fishing without runners and long pants to put on, I cant fish with the stable flies biting. They rarely bite my upper torso...

I tried it before but skin so soft never worked for me at all. Deet works good but I don't like that stuff on me too much either. A lot of bow hunters love Thermcell repellant appliance, I 've never tried one but they might be the ticket and have no odor. They apparently repel all kinds of biting insects not just mosquitos.

Skin so soft only works for black flies in my experience.

Someone else posted their Thermacell didn't do very well with a breeze in the boat.

Bronco is water based and has an expiry date. It'll be coming inside for the winter along with a lot of other things.

I tried the thermacell the other day in the yard for the biting flies and it didn't seem to work with them . I live across the street from lake Erie.

I’ve found my theracell works well in a small space like my hunting blind or a trailer. I’ve found in open air with a breeze they don’t work or you need a few of them. I know they work. Last summer hunting yotes we walked across a field to set up and got attacked by skeeters. Set the up the blind and turned of the thermacell. Skeeters would come to the window then leave. Never got another bit. Take it with me when hunting all the time.

I tried the thermacell the other day in the yard for the biting flies and it didn't seem to work with them . I live across the street from lake Erie.
My dear wife has owned horses for a quarter century.
All the mentioned horse sprays will work, however you need to put enough spray on so that the bugs cannot bite / naugh through it!!!
Our experience is that if it Don't contain Deet it Don't work!!!

Good luck.

bd

I rarely ever use any type of bug spray, while fishing. Not that I'm concerned about the chemicals hurting me; heck I already have cancer. LOL
It's because when I use the stuff and then bait up for my next cast or drift; the bite seems to stop dead. Even gassing up the boat, I got some gas on my hands. Didn't think anything about it. My partner was pulling in one walleye after another and I'm sitting there skunked?
I now use a bug shirt when the biters are out. I' may look like a dork wearing it but the only bites that I feel are on my fishing pole.
Got this one from Mountain Equipment.

Dan.

5047909-NOC02.jpg

Just to be clear, you don't spray Bronco on your skin. Just spray it on the floor around where your're fishing and the biting flies will be gone for an hour or so at least. If really necessary you can spray your guests from the knees down but don't tell them.....

I tried the Thermocells on a couple of trips. I ran two, one on the floor, each side up front of the seats and out of the wind. worked great on the first trip. Second trip is was quite breezy and it wasnt as effective. my boat is all carpet - does the spray work ok on carpet? Dont want to damage it.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks