Boat advice

Jello

Having a little time to surf the net today, I was researching some boat options. Lady wants to know how much to save for a purchase next spring (nice lady eh?)

Anyhow, I've got it narrowed down to a couple options and I'm trying to stay under $10,000.

A mod-V of some kind with a surface drive motor.

Or

A standard V hull around 16' with a 30hp tiller.

I would like something that can access most (I'd be happy with blinds in the 30s) unit blinds and the big creek blinds. Would also like to fish with it a bit with the kids. Bass on the bay or walleye in the Grand.

I'm sure at some point I'll pick up a second boat, but for now I'm looking for something I can get the most out of. Any advice would be great.

If you arnt wanting to go into the interior of the marsh best bet in my opinion would be the 16 ft with the tiller, that being said its still possible to do just have to know the water, this years water may be a none issue also
Ive heard bad things about surface drives in the sand,

Agree with Donald. It's pretty hard to beat a standard 16' aluminum with an outboard. They may never be your first option for a specific application but will provide relatively safe transportation and use in more situations than any other choice I can imagine.

16 foot modified v hull jon boat and 25-30 hp tiller. it will be lots stable with kids, fast enough to take them skiing and tubing. shallow enough to get to most blinds in the unit and not too heavy when you get it stuck. In choppy or rough water it is stable but very bumpy ride if you try and go any speed.

16 foot modified v hull jon boat and 25-30 hp tiller. it will be lots stable with kids, fast enough to take them skiing and tubing. shallow enough to get to most blinds in the unit and not too heavy when you get it stuck. In choppy or rough water it is stable but very bumpy ride if you try and go any speed.
The only boats that failed patrons at the Waterfowl Unit were Jon Boats. Having a blunt nose that does not efficiently split waves makes absolutely no sense.

Not gonna argue with those facts.
These are my facts; the only issues I have had are it is very slow going in rough water and it is heavy to pull out of the mud when the water goes down.
I have had mine since 2003

Thank you for the replies. I was leaning towards the regular v-hull, but was a bit unsure about access restrictions. In the end, I think I'd rather have something that can take on some waves if needed. My other concern was access the Big Creek blinds, but my understanding is its fairly deep up there?

As said, I'd be happy with access to blinds around the edge. From 40 up around to 17 (there's always the walk outs as well that I'm accustomed to). Plan is to get the boat next spring and spend the summer learning the ins and outs.

I would agree with the opinions above. I've had everything from a 1236 Jon to a mod vee 1754 and have sold those off to end up with a 1448 mod vee Jon with a mud motor and a 16' lund 40 tiller. If you like being beat up in waves a Jon will do it. Most vee hulls will run in pretty shallow water. Worst case you may end up jumping out and walking it In To the blind for the last bit.

I am late to this party, but you are looking for next spring so, the best all around boat I've ever run is a Lund SSV 16 foot in the factory green color with snap in vinyl flooring for fishing and a bow mount trolling motor and a 30hp. Mine had a detachable blind, downriggers and sonar etc, all the toys. I fished Lake Ontario and Erie when conditions where good ( to be truthful the boat could handle rougher water than I could LOL) and I duck hunted all over including LPB. The boat drew very little water, but the inner marsh was pretty tough, but he bow troller helped me get to a few pretty tough places. To date it is the best compromise boat I've ever owned and let me get into the bigger water when conditions where good, but I could fish or hunt very small bodies of water also. The kids tubed behind it and I never was short of room, even hauled a layout rig for a while! I had a 2 stroke, and the only change I would make would be to buy a 40HP if going four stroke, or go with an etec!

If you want to hunt big creek blinds, mud motor all the way
If we didn't have a mud motor on last year, we'd still be sitting there !
We run a 16' mod v jon boat with a 20hp mudbuddy
Although we've had problems with our 20hp honda mudbuddy, if it ran great all the time, I wouldn't want anything else but a mud motor for big creek
When the waters really high, it's no big deal, But usually it's low
If you plan on running the outside marsh, mod V and mud motor is not the best option, especially on choppy days
A lot to consider, but try and make the safest decision for what you're trying to do

Thanks for all of the advice. Based on multi use, I'm thinking a regular V-hull tin can of some sort and an outboard would work. Maybe even a 14' just for the sake of hiding it a bit better. Down the road I can look at a second boat with a mud motor.

You dont need a mud motor to hunt big creek, all you need is a punt paddle and willing to sweat a little for your ducks getting in and out. B6 and B1 you probably wont be able to walk across the channels this year when its been like that ive had my 18 ft alaskan there, never had a issue with B3 water and B5 You can park the boat at the creek bank and walk in with your gear if your worried about the water levels.

Donald 86 is right all I have ever had is a 14 foot aluminum and a punt paddle for duck hunting. You can always stick a little out board on for fishing. ( I personally like the quiet of an electric) but a good set of oars and a punt paddle will serve all your duck hunting needs.

Not a matter of "needing " a mud motor, it's a matter of what's easier and more enjoyable for the person
I bought a go devil few years back, and I haven't looked back since
The go- devil is awesome for the interior and big creek blinds , but no good for crossing the bay or running out to little rice
Although it can be done, not very safe!
Water levels are up and down from year to year, really shallow water doesn't slow the go- devil down, but shallow water will bring a tiller to its knees (I'm getting too old to drag my boat around the marsh)

Thought I'd update this thread.

I ended up getting a Lund SSV 16 with a 30 E-TEC from Mike at Marina Shores. I love it so far. Next year I'll be putting a blind on it, but for now, I'll stick to the unit and just hide it with a camo net.

Looks like there's going to be plenty of water this year. :) I'm presently making a push pole for those motor raised hard to get through spot.

If you decide you want a punt paddle I make them for 100. Up to 16 feet, but I wouldn't recommend going over 12. ( the pro's who raise the Thames over in England use 11. Mine is under 10, it's easier to handle in a boat with a dog and another guy, and gear.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks