Blue sky duck hunting

Fish Whisperer

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Seems everything is mixed up for me not just my fishing. Went out yeasterday in rain with very little action. I managed 1 woody. Geese went out and never came back. Mallards were pond hopping but would come out to feild. Today everything was up and flying. Lots of birds in and out of ponds. Managed 2 geese and 1 mallard after I broke my glasses. Those mojo mallards sure bring in the birds. Off to a great start so far. 10 geese and 3 ducks.

Geese absolutely hate spinning duck decoys.. If you killed a few geese with the them out and running consider yourself lucky. You got some young dumb or old blind geese too come in.

Chippers right about mojo hating geese but good job
Sky's count but also take into consideration feeding needs. If they hunker down for a crappy night they're gonna be hungry the next day regardless of weather

image.jpg image.jpg If raining on and off all day.. Geese will head out to a feed field and stay in it all day.. They can get needed water right there,, no need to go back to roosting water during the day. If your not using a goose flag it's the best $20 investment you can buy if you are field hunting for geese.

Duck spinners are absolutely deadly medicine for puddle ducks in dry fields.

The most important aspect of waterfowl hunting is scouting,,, nothing makes A more successful waterfowl hunter than window time. Second most important is concealment,, if you think your lay down blind has enough stubble on it,, double it, and then add more.

The biggest mistake hunters make is shooting the roost,, you can shoot birds in puddling water or fields and they will stay in the area and just change feed fields.. You shoot that "night" roost and they are bugging out of the area.. That is their safety zone. If at all possible don't shoot that roost water, your just shooting yourself in the foot.

I've done a bit of water fowling in my lifetime,,, ok more than most people could ever dream of,, I'm not blowing smoke up...

Well I've never shot them on roost at nite. Mojo spinning have not stopped them from coming in. I am hunting feild adjacent to where they roost. Will try experiment without mojo. Also had feild duck decoys out. Will drop them out of the mix to see if they change up.

Keep the field duck decoys in the spread.. Put them at the head of your decoy spread or mix them amongst the goose decoys,, just make sure the back end of your spread is all goose decoys. Ducks will fly over geese too land,, geese will not fly over ducks too land generally.

Well tried your set up on sat and the birds decided they wanted cut corn feilds over 1 leaf winter wheat. Nothing decoyed in on sat. So just when you think you have it figured out , throw that out the window. Sure is nice seeing lots of birds. Only 2 ducks flew over.

Just like turkey season. When you think you've nailed it, they throw you a curve ball
But that's half the fun. The slow long crappy days make the successful hunts all he sweeter

Just wanted to add a big thank you to chipper for the advice . I am just getting back into it and have never actually field hunted . Was out on Sat. just watching the birds fly and figuring out a game plan . What you said makes sense about wrecking their safe haven . I was also wondering ... do you know of a place or a web site in Ontario , to buy replacement stakes for the hollow goose shells . I picked some used shells up and checked at Bass Pro and Canadian Waterfowlers . The second had some but were too small to rest on without falling thru the opening . It's nice to see that some people still like to pitch in with advice . This is one of the reasons why forums are set up .

Last edited:
When I lost stakes for mine I welded some washers on some rod to make stakes. I think it was 1/4 rod

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks