Auger Blades

LadyInRed

I have a Rapala hand auger that is in it's 3rd season. I'm not a crazy avid ice angler so it hasn't seen a whole lot of use. How long should the blades last? They still feel sharp to the touch but I have been very hard on it(I lose the guard and I drop it a lot). I noticed yesterday that drilling seemed a lot more difficult than it should have.

Anyway, can they be sharpened or must they be replaced? And if they need replacing where do I get them?

From my experience, sharpened blades never last that long , your best bet is just to replace them , if they last 3 years that's pretty small investment, cutting a hole with bad blades is such a pain

Most likely it's not your blades that were toast, it's your auger frame that the blades go on.
The frame has bent over time using it. As time goes on you have put pressure drilling and bent the angle, reaming the hole after drilling, and lending it is a NO NO ::):mad::eek:.
You have nothing to lose, stick the frame part in a vise and bend the frame part back slightly, I did it to mine and it worked better, but not like new.
It's only the centre touching the ice, not the whole blade.
I eventually spent the money and bought the Fin Bore Pro 3, much better auger, only thing I don't like, is the off set cranking handles.

QGcWvt5.jpg
qBT32xK.jpg

Only touching ice on the tip, not much cutting surface.
Lots of those bent augers in garage sales ::) ;D

Last edited:
There's a place outside of london that sharpens saw blades I know some cappenters who use them. Best guess is he's a pro I think he's located on #73

Replace the blades, almost impossible to resharpen. NEVER drop it or bang it on the ice. The fastest way to ruin your cutting edge. The blades should grip the ice instantly as soon as you turn the handle. Always use the guard when not in use. Finally NEVER let someone else borrow it.

I have a Rapala hand auger that is in it's 3rd season. I'm not a crazy avid ice angler so it hasn't seen a whole lot of use. How long should the blades last? They still feel sharp to the touch but I have been very hard on it(I lose the guard and I drop it a lot). I noticed yesterday that drilling seemed a lot more difficult than it should have.

Anyway, can they be sharpened or must they be replaced? And if they need replacing where do I get them?
If you have left it on ice in snow 3 yes old they dull easy from laying in snow I would just replace the blades with new ones, try it again if it’s easier problem solved worst that could happen u end up with a spare set if you come to a conclusion it might be damaged or bent call sail they had my brand probably Rapala too

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks