Any one still hunting ducks and geese with an old model 12?

WinSX3Tom

I just purchased a new to me Winchester model 12, I've been wanting one forever but I'm not a plain barrel kind of guy.

I found one on CGN for $650 said it was a 50s model 3" vent rib.

Turns out when I got it serial #shows it as a 1941 3" Heavy duck which would have originally had a 30" full choke 3" barrel.

It had a flat vent rib added to it, barrel was cut down to 27. 5" and threaded for Winchokes.

Also has a softer uncle Mike's recoil pad installed on it.

Can't wait to get out and shoot it. I'm sure after 77 years she's got a heck of a story to tell and has taken down 1000s of ducks. Hopefully I can add a couple more to the tally!

Anyone else love theirs?

In 1941. My grandfather was following a hardware store truck into Aylmer. A long box for some reason fell out of the back of the truck on to Highway 3. My Grandfather followed the truck into town and returned the box to the driver. The owner of the hardware store was there and couldn't believe that he would do that and he gave him the gun. it was a model 12. My grandfather was in the horse business at Summers corners. That gun put down at least 25 horses(health reasons) . he gave that gun to my father who who shot hundreds of Ducks and Pheasants with it. It was then given to me. And in turn, I have shot ducks with that gun as well. Love my model 12. George.

Nothing like a gun that has a lot of history behind it . My Dad's Auto 5 that he bought around 1950 or possibly earlier has also shot hundreds and hundreds and hundreds of ducks . The receiver actually was wore out and he couldn't use it anymore then around 2000 I found someone selling an Auto 5 because the barrel had blown up and the stock was broken but the receiver was in good condition so a deal was made . The gun was used by him again but by that time he was close to 80 and had trouble swinging it ( it has a compensator on the barrel) so it was retired .My brother doug has that gun now.

I had model 12's but non with a vent rib..maybe if it had one i would have liked it better.my go to gun back in the day was a Ithaca model 37 feather weight loved that gun my dad bought it off his uncle who retired from hunting in his 80's gave it to me .I had it re-blued new fancy walnut put on it an extra barrel made for it and the forcing cone taken out of both the original and new one .Still have but not in use ..love my semi better cant go back to a pump

Last edited:
I love the Franchi affinity series semis. I was actually on the hunt for another one after I sold my last one for some hard needed cash. And then this sweet model 12 popped up and couldn't help myself. Saved a few hundred over buying another franchi too. And it's steel I love it.

Love the stories guys.

I have my wife's grandfathers old Model 12 3", solid rib, Heavy Duck. It use to be my #1 duck gun when we could shoot lead. I had tubes put in it early for steel. I think it is the Mod which is solidly welded in there now. I still use it when the mood strikes me.

I have yet to have a good day to get out and shoot it but I will be shooting it for turkey this year with an extra full winchoke.

Well I'll hold it can't say I'll shoot it... Lol!

I have yet to have a good day to get out and shoot it but I will be shooting it for turkey this year with an extra full winchoke.

Well I'll hold it can't say I'll shoot it... Lol!
Tom . What a coincidence . Just bought a model 12 with a factory modified barrel , I was thinking of using with slugs and Bismuth or Tungsten matrix if it isn't too harsh on the barrel . But I find it a bit long , even with a T shirt on , so I am looking at buying another stock and getting it cut down to fit me .

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks