A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I have sent the enclosed document package to Mr. A. Freitag (Secretary, LPWA) for distribution to the LPWA Executive and Board of Directors.

The contents of the enclosed documentation package is self explanatory.

Mr. J. Malcolm and Mr. A. Freitag have previously agreed to a have "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" as an agenda item for discussion at our AGM in April.

I will print copies of the "Tundra Swan Fact Sheet 2010" (enclosed) for distribution at our AGM and prepare a response form that LPWA members may complete.

I understand that the two (EP & WP) Tundra Swan populations currently have over 100,000 birds each for a continental total of about 210,000 birds ... way over their management goals.

Financial funding from The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation to organizations that support "waterfowling" will be available starting at the end of this year as explained in my letters.

Hopefully we can count on your support.

Jerome

Last edited:
798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

March 12, 2014

Mr. B. Blackwell
President
Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
P.O. Box 2800
Peterborough, Ontario
K9J 8L5

Re: Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario

Dear Mr. B. Blackwell:

Further to my rather extensive letter of May 13, 2012 regarding my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario (that included copies of supporting documentation) and the National Fish & Wildlife Conservation Congress that was held in Ottawa from May 27 to May 31, 2012 (to which the courtesy of a reply was never received) I am writing in response to several comments that you have made in letters to the general OFAH membership.

Some of these comments that you have made could apply to my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario as illustrated below:

1) A comment of "congratulations for not tolerating complacency" could be in reference to those of us who are not satisfied with the OFAH having "simply settled for the status quo" when it comes to waterfowling ... the hunting of ducks and geese but not swans. Since the word "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans the OFAH has not been and is not being inclusive when it comes to waterfowling.

2) A comment of "members like you who are not prepared to sit idly by in the political wake" could be in reference to those of us who believe that an Ontario Tundra Swan Season is long overdue.

3) A comment of "we also hold the decision makers accountable for trumping science with politics" could again be in reference to those of us who believe that an Ontario Tundra Swan Season is long overdue.

4) A comment of "we simply never back down" however certainly does not apply as it would appear that the OFAH "decision makers" do not want to stand up for the rights of waterfowlers to be able to participate in the North American Tundra Swan Harvest provided for in the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans.

I understand that the two (2) main concerns resulting in this OFAH position are:

1) A perception that there does not seem to be a demand for an Ontario Tundra Swan Season among large numbers of waterfowlers.

2) A perception (fear) that hunting swans could result in loss of support for hunting in general and increased anti-hunting sentiment.

In response to these two (2) main concerns please consider that:

1) Less than 10,000 waterfowlers out of a total of about 970,000 waterfowlers in the United States will apply for an Eastern Population Tundra Swan tag and hunt Tundra Swans in any given year (that is why they call it a "limited" harvest). About another 5,000 waterfowlers will hunt the Western Population of Tundra Swans.

2) This fear is anticipated, hypothetical, speculative and unfounded in nature since there has been no study or survey to support this fear. Furthermore under the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) would be responsible for conducting "public consultations" between the time that they apply for an Ontario Tundra Swan Season (the deadline is August the year before the start of the first season) and the start of the first season.

I have enclosed a Tundra Swan Fact Sheet that I prepared based upon 2010 data and three (3) letters for your reference.

My letter of August 15, 2013 to Waterfowl Hunters was posted on the Hunt Ontario and the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) "waterfowl" forums and provided Ontario waterfowlers with a general synopsis of what has happened since January of 2010.

My letter of March 01, 2014 to Mr. J. Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) provided an update of the financial status of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation and the funds that will be available at the end of this year and in subsequent years.

My letter of March 02, 2014 to Mr. J. Hughes advised him of my intention to start a Tundra Swan Hunters Association and the reasons for that decision.

I thank you for taking the time to review the contents of these letters.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

c.c.

Mr. A. Lombardo, Executive Director, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. G. Farrant, Head of Government Relations, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Wildlife Biologist, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. B. Moore, Chairman of Zone J, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. J. Malcolm, President, Long Point Waterfowlers Association

Tundra Swan Fact Sheet 2010

The continental Tundra Swan population of North America is divided into two (2) populations.

The Eastern Population (EP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers are 100,000 or 25% above the Management Plan goal of 80,000.

The Western Population (WP) Tundra Swan (TUSW) numbers are 80,000 or 33% above the Management Plan goal of 60,000.

The EP TUSW recreational international (Canada and the United States) harvest is currently set at 4800 birds and therefore a total of 9600 permits (based upon an estimated 50% harvest rate) are issued. The actual EP TUSW harvest rate in the United States is only about 37%.

Since there is currently no recreational EP TUSW harvest in Canada all 9600 permits are available to hunters in the United States. The Americans get their 59% of the 9600 permits as well as our 41% of the 9600 permits.

The native people in Canada already have their own "subsistence" harvest for both EP TUSW and WP TUSW which is now (since 1995) year round (spring migration, summer nesting and fall migration) with no bag limits.

Furthermore ... the native people of Canada may harvest the Trumpeter Swan (TRSW) as well.

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

August 15, 2013

Re: Canadian Wildlife Service Tundra Swan Season Assessment

Dear Waterfowl Hunters:

I am writing to you to share with you the good news that I received earlier this week from the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) regarding their recently completed Tundra Swan Season Assessment which appears to be very supportive of my Tundra Swan proposal.

Many of you will remember that I submitted my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario to Mr. J. Hughes (Head of Population Management, CWS) in October of 2010 and requested that my proposal be an agenda item at the next Ontario Waterfowl Advisory Committee (OWAC) meeting to be held in November of 2010.

Although my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario did not receive general support from the participating parties involved it was nevertheless discussed at that OWAC meeting ... the beginning of a long journey.

Following that OWAC discussion I established The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation with the Charitable Gift Funds Canada Foundation (CGFCF) in December of 2010 through RBC Dominion Securities in order to financially support the eventual implementation and monitoring of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan harvest in the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

I then contacted Delta Waterfowl early in 2011 to inquire if they would be willing to support my Tundra Swan proposal. Although Delta Waterfowl did express some interest in my Tundra Swan proposal they eventually decided that my proposal was premature at that time.

Additional supportive documentation for my Tundra Swan proposal was submitted to the CWS as I was conducting my discussions with Delta Waterfowl. Much of this additional supportive documentation was included in a Tundra Swan presentation package that I posted on both the Long Point Waterfowlers Association (LPWA) and the Hunt Ontario (OOD) waterfowl forums seeking support from fellow waterfowl hunters ... specifically requesting that they submit letters of support for my Tundra Swan proposal.

I also delivered my Tundra Swan presentation to the members of the LPWA at our Annual General Meeting in April of 2011 at which time it was announced by a Long Point Waterfowl scientist that the CWS would be conducting a Tundra Swan Season Assessment. I had received an e-mail (sent to me by another waterfowl scientist) earlier that morning advising me of the same news. I subsequently contacted Mr. J. Hughes and he confirmed that the CWS would be conducting a Tundra Swan Season Assessment as well as providing me with the name of the waterfowl scientist who would be conducting the assessment should I require further information.

The members of the LPWA attending the Annual General Meeting in April of 2011 had an opportunity to review the information regarding my Tundra Swan proposal that was contained within the handout notes and complete a survey that was included with the handout notes. The number of completed surveys returned to me (at the meeting or subsequently by either hand or mail) indicated a 20% response rate (apparently double what can normally be expected with such a survey) and the contents of the completed surveys indicated that approximately 85% of the respondents were supportive of my Tundra Swan proposal with the remaining 15% either interested or partially supportive of it.

It should be noted that I contacted Ducks Unlimited Canada later in 2011 to inquire if they would be interested in supporting my Tundra Swan proposal. However Ducks Unlimited Canada, having a mandate for waterfowl habitat conservation, was unable to support my Tundra Swan proposal for that reason.

Although the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment was completed earlier this spring a departmental review of it was required prior to it being made available to the public. I was informed earlier this week that the departmental review had been completed and I was provided with a copy of the assessment.

I received permission from the CWS waterfowl scientist yesterday that I could distribute the Tundra Swan Season Assessment to interested individuals ... including within these electronic waterfowl forums.

In closing I would like to take this opportunity to thank those waterfowl hunters who supported me and my Tundra Swan proposal ... specifically those (including at least one American waterfowl hunter) who submitted letters of support to the CWS as this made a significant difference.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

March 01, 2014

Mr. J. Hughes
Head of Population Management
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

Further to my letter March 30, 2011 the purpose of this letter is to advise you of the current financial status of The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation as of December 31, 2013 as well as to confirm the funds that will be available to the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) at the end of 2014 and annually thereafter to the end of 2034.

I included a statement in my letter of March 30, 2011 indicating that I had committed sufficient funds to my foundation over a four (4) year period (2010 to 2013) to reasonably assure that $1,000.00 will be available at the end of 2011, $2,000.00 will be available at the end of 2012, $3,000.00 will be available at the end of 2013 and $4,000.00 will be available at the end of 2014 for a total of $10,000.00 for the implementation of a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario.

A review of my foundation's "Year End Fund Activity Report" (copy enclosed) will show that $6,166.00 was available as of December 31, 2013 ($166.00 more than anticipated) confirming that my previously projected financial level of support to the Canadian Wildlife Service was accurate.

Furthermore I have included a copy of "2013 Year End - Classic Charitable Gift Fund Program" from Giftfunds Canada that you may find of interest.

Consequently there is no doubt that the $10,000.00 that I had originally pledged to the Canadian Wildlife Service for the implementation of a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario will be available at the end of 2014.

Furthermore there is no doubt that the additional $4,000.00 per year that I had originally pledged to the Canadian Wildlife Service for the monitoring of a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario will be available at the end of 2015 and annually thereafter to the end of 2034 for a total of twenty (20) years.

My additional two (2) pledges of $5,000.00 for the implementation of a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan will be addressed in a subsequent letter as an additional (projected) $1,000.00 will be available at the end of 2015, $2,000.00 at the end of 2016, $3,000.00 at the end of 2017, $4,000.00 at the end of 2018, $5,000.00 at the end of 2019 and $6,000.00 at the end of 2020 for a total of $21,000.00 then continuing at $6,000.00 per year in perpetuity based upon Part 1 of the Financial Plan for The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation. I will disclose Part 2 of the Financial Plan to you and other interested parties at a later date.

Considering that we are currently in a position whereby we could potentially have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario as early as the fall of 2015 (as I had originally envisaged) it behooves all interested parties to work together and seize this opportunity to reintroduce Ontario waterfowlers to Tundra Swan hunting.

I have documented in a previous letter that the Tundra Swan (a migratory game bird) had been hunted in Ontario from 1615 to 1918 ... over three hundred years ... prior to being "protected" due to unregulated overhunting. The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans is based upon science and a current Tundra Swan population that can now sustain a limited (tag only) annual harvest.

The recently completed CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment has confirmed what we need to know prior to the CWS applying for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Please forward copies of this letter with the supporting documentation to the other OWAC members (not included in the cc list) as I do not have their contact information.

I would like to thank you for your continued support of my proposal.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I have received a request from Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) not to include his name within the c.c list of my letters regarding this topic.

c.c.

Dr. F. Rohwer, President, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. J. Scarth, Senior Vice President of Policy, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. R. Donnelly, Regional Director - Eastern Canada, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. T. Worden, Chairman of the Board, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. M. Dunfield, President, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Dr. T. Nudds, Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. M. Schummer, Scientist, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. B. Blackwell, President, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Mr. G. Farrant, Head of Government Relations, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Head of Fish and Wildlife Programs, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

798 Highway 59, RR 3
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

March 02, 2014

Mr. J. Hughes
Head of Population Management
Canadian Wildlife Service
Environment Canada
335 River Road
Ottawa, Ontario
K1A 0H3

Dear Mr. J. Hughes:

Further to my letter March 31, 2011 the purpose of this letter is to advise you of my intention to start a Tundra Swan Hunters Association for waterfowlers who have hunted Tundra Swans in the past, are hunting Tundra Swans currently or would like to hunt Tundra Swans in the future and would like to share their past experiences, current hunts or future ideas.

There was apparently substantial interest among waterfowlers in my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario based upon what I had conveyed to you in my letter of March 31, 2011 with a few individuals even writing to you in support of a limited Tundra Swan harvest.

In my letter of February 12, 2014 to Mr. R. Donnelly (Regional Director - Eastern Canada, Delta Waterfowl Foundation) I documented the results (previously conveyed to you and others) of a small survey that I had conducted with the members of the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) at our AGM in the spring of 2011 that resulted in a 20% response rate (twice the industry average) indicating an 85% level of support with the remaining 15% conditionally or partially supporting my Proposal for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario.

This level of interest has continued based upon the response that I have monitored since August 15, 2013 when I posted the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment on the Hunt Ontario (OFAH) waterfowl web site and the Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) waterfowl web site.

Of particular interest was the response that I have observed on the LPWA waterfowl web site. My last post (Post # 9) was on October 05, 2013 when there had been a total of 489 viewings. By December 30, 2013 there had been a total of 974 viewings with no additional postings indicating that 485 individuals had viewed my last post ... unless some individuals went back to review my last post again.

In spite of this level of interest among Ontario waterfowlers in potentially having a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario I have received correspondence from both Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, LPW) and Mr. J. Greenwood (Chairman of Zone J, OFAH) stating that the OFAH Board of Directors is not interested in supporting a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario.

I have also received correspondence from Mr. J. Malcolm (President, LPWA) indicating that the LPWA Board of Directors is not interested in supporting a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Province of Ontario however my request to have "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" as an agenda item has been accepted by the LPWA Board of Directors for discussion at our Annual General Meeting next month ... something that Mr. J. Greenwood would not permit at the OFAH Zone J Annual General Meeting next month ... something to consider.

Consequently this is to advise you that I no longer believe that the OFAH represents my interests as a "waterfowler" ... an individual who hunts "waterfowl". The last time that I checked the term "waterfowl" included ducks, geese and swans.

I am prepared to personally cover the cost of starting this new Tundra Swan Hunters Association as membership will be free but I will encourage members to submit an e-mail or a letter to the CWS indicating their support for a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest in the Provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan. Please advise me if these e-mails and letters should be submitted to you or someone else.

Finally I am also prepared to personally reimburse one hundred (100) individuals who submit an e-mail or letter of support to the CWS (copy to me) for the cost of a Tundra Swan tag (maximum of $20.00 per tag) once they become available. In other words ... I am prepared to personally guarantee that the CWS will sell one hundred (100) Tundra Swan tags the first year that a Tundra Swan Recreational Harvest is implemented in the Province of Ontario.

I trust that this offer will meet with your approval and that of your staff.

Please forward copies of this letter to the other OWAC members (not included in the cc list) as I do not have their contact information.

I would like to thank you for your continued support of my proposal.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

PS I have received a request from Dr. S. Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) not to include his name within the c.c list of my letters regarding this topic.

c.c.

Dr. F. Rohwer, President, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. J. Scarth, Senior Vice President of Policy, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. R. Donnelly, Regional Director - Eastern Canada, Delta Waterfowl Foundation
Mr. T. Worden, Chairman of the Board, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Mr. M. Dunfield, President, Ducks Unlimited Canada
Dr. T. Nudds, Chairman of the Scientific Advisory Committee, Long Point Waterfowl
Dr. M. Schummer, Scientist, Long Point Waterfowl
Mr. B. Blackwell, President, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters
Dr. T. Quinney, Head of Fish and Wildlife Programs, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters

Hello Guys,

There are many individuals on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum who are really interested in the potential of a Tundra Swan season ... check out my "thread" there.

A limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario could be a real boost to the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit since many waterfowlers from around the Province could come down here to hunt Tundra Swans and then return to hunt ducks and geese if they liked the area and what we have to offer here. I have also had American waterfowlers who have stated that they would come to Ontario to hunt if we had a Tundra Swan season.

Many of the concerns around having a Tundra Swan season are being resolved through an exchange of ideas on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum as mentioned above.

Jerome

PS All "waterfowlers" should check out the Utah "Swan Hunter Course" at http://www.utah-hunt.com/utswancourse/ to learn the differences between the three (3) species of swans.

Hi Jerome
Forgive me for my laziness. When are u proposing the swan hunt to be? How many bird limit? Where do u propose an open season WMu? Can u give us the Coles notes pls. Ten lines or less.

Hello John,

My original proposal that was submitted to the CWS in October of 2010 was conceptual in nature without many specifics other than it would obviously be a limited (tag only) harvest based upon The Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans. I have already posted the supporting documentation in various threads as well as the "CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment" (see separate thread). This is a complicated issue that cannot be condensed into ten lines but could potentially be implemented as early as the 2015 season.

Thank you for your interest.

Jerome

Thanks for all your efforts to help thin out the tundra swan population Jerome!
Went for a walk on one of my turkey fields, and could not find even 1 kernal of corn for anything to eat
Talked to the farmer, & he said there were thousands of swans in the fall there and left nothing when they left
Hopefully there was lots of acorns to keep everything alive during the winter

Hello Guys,

I would like to take this opportunity to thank the LPWA Executive and Board of Directors for permitting me to deliver an update on "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" at our AGM yesterday.

I will be starting a "Tundra Swan Hunters Association" (no cost to join) for those "waterfowlers" who have hunted or who currently hunt Tundra Swans in the United States and those "waterfowlers" who would like to be able to hunt Tundra Swans in Canada.

In the meantime you may send a letter indicating your support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season directly to Mr. Jack Hughes, Manager of Population Conservation, Canadian Wildlife Service, Environment Canada, 335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3 by mail, e-mail (jack.hughes@ec.gc.ca) or fax (1-613-949-8307).

I would appreciate receiving a copy of your letter or e-mail. You may contact me by mail (798 Highway 59, Port Rowan, Ontario, N0E 1M0), by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) or by fax (519-586-9825). Please phone me (519-586-9825) before you fax (any evening is the best time).

I thank you for your support.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

I assume that one can voice their opposition to the same e-mail...............?

Dear Mr. D. Warnica:

I acknowledge your opposition to the proposal for a Tundra Swan season.

Any legitimate reason for opposing the proposal for a Tundra Swan season would be greatly appreciated. May I suggest that you read the various posts within the "A Tundra Swan Season In Ontario" thread in the Hunt Ontario "watefowl" forum. You may find some information there that addresses your concerns.

I thank you for taking the time to express your opinion on this issue.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks