A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

December 08, 2017

Re: Available Funds for Waterfowl Organizations

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of September 24, 2017 regarding "A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update" in which I described the funds within The Dr. Jerome Kacthin Waterfowl Foundation that would be available for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting this is to advise you that the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (SWF) was the first organization to accept my offer.

Mr. D. Crabbe (Executive Director, SWF) responded to my letter of November 28, 2017 on December 05, 2017 to express their support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the Canadian Wildlife Service's Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013. Consequently I have advised Mr. D. Crabbe that a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an annual grant of $1,000.00 for twenty (20) years shall be available to their organization starting in 2018.

The following is a summary of the funds that will be available at the end of this year for waterfowl organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting.

1) The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

2) The Manitoba Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

3) The Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation: a one time grant of $5,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

4) The Delta Waterfowl Foundation: a one time grant of $10,000.00 as well as an additional annual grant of $2,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years.

Note: Providing that these four (4) organizations promote and support our tradition of waterfowl hunting (in an ethical and sustainable manner) within their respective provinces. However the term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

Note: The one time grants will be available in January of 2018 with the additional annual grants starting in January of 2019 and continuing to January of 2038 (inclusive).

5) The Trumpeter Swan Society: an annual grant of $2,000.00 (minimum) for the purpose of promoting and improving Trumpeter Swan identification in Canadian jurisdictions that have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I have requested that all of you submit a letter of support (an e-mail is fine) expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) with a copy to Mr. J. Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) because the Canadian Wildlife Service would like to have the support from the hunting community before giving further consideration to the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. J. Hughes by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

Mr. M. Kunkel (Norfolk Chapter, Delta Waterfowl) has recently advised me that Delta Waterfowl has decided to support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the "western provinces" ... consequently that would only be Manitoba and Saskatchewan for reasons beyond the scope of this post.

You can read his response of April 02, 2018 to my two (2) initial posts on his thread regarding Delta Waterfowl's Great Lakes Initiative. This is an initiative that I have offered to support with a grant of $10,000.00 last fall and again earlier this year. Unfortunately I have not received the courtesy of a response from either Dr. F. Rohwer (President, Delta Waterfowl) or Mr. C. Pitfield (Vice Chairperson, Board of Directors) although I have given them until May 01, 2018 to respond to my latest offer.

I have requested the courtesy of a response from Delta Waterfowl by May 01, 2018 because the Canadian Wildlife Service has presented something for me to consider funding in the event that Delta Waterfowl or the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters do not want the $10,000.00 grants I have offered to both organizations.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I have recently contacted several individuals regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as evident in a new post that I will post shortly.

If you have not submitted a letter of support yet then please do so now and include the following additional four (4) individuals in your cc list.

1) Ms. Christie Curley (Manager, Wildlife Section, Conservation Policy Branch, MNRF).

2) Mr. Jim Fisher (Director of Conservation Policy, Delta Waterfowl).

3) Mr. Barry Keicks (Regional Director - Ontario, Delta Waterfowl).

4) Ms. Maya Basdeo (Ontario Waterfowl Programs Manager, Delta Waterfowl).

Their e-mail addresses are:

1) christie.curley@ontario.ca

2) jfisher@deltawaterfowl.org

3) bkeicks@deltawaterfowl.org

4) mbasdeo@deltawaterfowl.org

You may send a copy of your e-mail to me (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com) or your letter to me at my home address if you like.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

April 21, 2018

Re: A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Update

I have been rather busy writing letters regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to several individuals earlier this year. I have written a total of forty (40) letters to the following individuals between January 07 and March 11, 2018.

Mr. Lorne Greenwald (Financial Advisor, RBC Dominion Securities) x 1

Mr. Jack Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) x 4
Dr. Jim Leafloor (Wildlife Biologist, CWS) x 1

Ms. Christie Curley (Manager, Wildlife Section, Conservation Policy Branch, MNRF) x 1

Ms. Margaret Smith (Executive Director, The Trumpeter Swan Society) x 1
Dr. Harry Lumsden (Wildlife Biologist, Ontario Trumpeter Swan Restoration Group) x 2

Mr. Chip Pitfield (Vice Chairman, Board of Directors, Delta Waterfowl) x 2
Dr. Frank Rohwer (President, Delta Waterfowl) - copied
Mr. Jim Fisher (Director of Conservation Policy, Delta Waterfowl) - copied
Mr. Dave Bishop (Regional Director - Ontario, Delta Waterfowl) - copied
Mr. John Clements ( Regional Director - Eastern Canada, Delta Waterfowl) - copied
Ms. Emily Lamb (Regional Director - Western Canada, Delta Waterfowl) - copied

Mr. Paul Wait (Editor/Publisher, Delta Waterfowl Magazine) x 1

Mr. Angelo Lombardo (Executive Director, OFAH) x 4
Mr. Matt DeMille (Manager of Fish and Wildlife Services, OFAH) x 1
Ms. Dawn Sucee (Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) x 1
Ms. Lauren Tonelli (Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) x 1

Ms. Lezlie Goodwin (Editor-in-Chief, Ontario Out of Doors) x 2
Dr. Robert Bailey (Outdoor Writer, Ontario Out of Doors) x 1
Mr. Jeff Helsdon (Outdoor Writer, Ontario Out of Doors) x 3

Dr. Brian Kotak (Managing Director, Manitoba Wildlife Federation) x 3

Mr. Darrell Crabbe (Executive Director, Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation) x 2

Mr. Brad Archer (Treasurer, Board of Directors, LPWA) x 1

Hon. Diane Finley (Member of Parliament, Haldimand-Norfolk) x 3

Mr. Toby Barrett (Member of Provincial Parliament, Haldimand-Norfolk) x 3

Mr. Noel Haydt (Councillor for Ward 1, Norfolk County) x 1
Mr. Clark Hoskin (Norfolk Tourism, Norfolk County) - copied

Mr. Monte Sonnenberg (Reporter, Simcoe Reformer) x1

I have provided these individuals with the latest information that I have regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season, the support for such a season, the recent OFAH National Survey regarding conservation, the concerns raised by Dr. Harry Lumsden regarding the Ontario Trumpeter Swans and the funding currently available to organizations that suppport "waterfowl" hunting. This funding is available for any waterfowl related project or program ... including special potential funding for the production of a Swan Identification guide or a Swan Identification course that could be taken online to reduce the risk of an incidental harvest of a Trumpeter Swan during a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

Mr. Monte Sonnenberg wrote a good article for the Simcoe Reformer on Tundra Swans in March of 2013 that included the potential for a Tundra Swan season with comments from Dr. Scott Petrie (Executive Director, Long Point Waterfowl) and Mr. Mike Kunkel (Norfolk Chapter, Delta Waterfowl) that you may be interested in reading. I can send you a copy of it but it may be available on line.

I have recently been in contact with Ms. Maya Basdeo (Ontario Waterfowl Programs Manager, Delta Waterfowl) and Mr. Barry Keicks (Regional Director - Ontario, Delta Waterfowl) to discuss this issue and I will be meeting with them in the near future to discuss some potential financial options for Delta Waterfowl and their Ontario Chapters.

In the meantime I am still waiting for a response from some of the organizations as to their interest in receiving the financial support (grants) that I have previously offered to them.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I just completed the Delta Waterfowl Survey online and submitted the following comment at the end of the survey.

There should be a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan due to the ever increasing population of Tundra Swans as per the Management Plan for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans and the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment completed in 2013.

Furthermore the Trumpeter Swan population has been nearly doubling every ten (10) years for the last few decades ... perhaps there could be a small specific harvest of Trumpeters Swans from the Pacific Coast Population that apparently has reached their maximum of about 25,000 birds. They are not adding to this population ... only the Rocky Mountain Population and the Interior Population are expanding.

Consequently there should also be a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Alberta as per the Management Plan for the Western Population of Tundra Swans.

These are three (3) areas that Delta Waterfowl has fallen short of with its management policies.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I thought that you may be interested to know that the USFWS estimates that the Trumpeter Swan continental population is growing by 10,000 birds per year.

This report was included in the "Conservation Corner" department on page 12 in the June/July 2018 issue of Wildfowl Magazine (Vol 33 No 3).

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

July 25, 2018

Further to my letter of April 21, 2018 regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season and the individuals that I had contacted between January 07 and March 11, 2018 this is to advise you of the progress that has been made recently on this issue.

1) Ms. Margaret Smith (Executive Director, The Trumpeter Swan Society) responded on May 04, 2018 to advise me that their Board of Directors had decided not to accept my offer of an annual grant of $2,000.00 to facilitate and promote swan identification in Canadian provinces that would have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in the future.

2) Dr. Jim Leafloor (Acting Head, Aquatic Unit, Prairie Region, CWS) responded on June 05, 2018 to advise me that my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan will be considered in the fall of 2019 for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 hunting seasons.

Note: The CWS had already made their recommendations in the fall of 2017 for the 2018-19 and 2019-20 hunting seasons.

3) Mr. Mark Ryckman (Manager of Policy, OFAH) responded on June 15, 2018 to advise me (although they recognized the merit of my proposal as stated In their previous letter) that their current priority remains a potential Sandhill Crane season for Ontario at this time and thanked me for my continued support with this issue.

4) Mr. Scott McGuigan (Director of Development, Delta Waterfowl) met with me on June 16, 2018 (subsequent to some e-mails) to invite me to partner with Delta Waterfowl financially regarding several waterfowl related issues including their support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in the prairie provinces at this time ... which I accepted to do.

5) Delta Waterfowl subsequently provided me with a copy of their letter of support to the CWS dated February 28, 2018 that was prepared by Mr. Jim Fisher (Director of Conservation Policy, Delta Waterfowl). I have recently provided Delta Waterfowl with a one time grant of $5,000.00 to conduct a survey of its Ontario members regarding several waterfowl related issues and a special one time grant of $1,000.00 to support Delta Waterfowl's two (2) summer hunting courses that will now include swan identification in their waterfowl identification segment. However an annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years will start in January of 2019 as part of this package.

6) Dr. Brian Kotak (Managing Director, Manitoba Wildlife Federation) responded on June 28, 2018 to advise me that their Board of Directors has decided to support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season after having consulted with the province's wildlife biologists. Dr. Brian Kotak will be submitting a letter of support to the CWS in the near future. Consequently I will be providing the Manitoba Wildlife Federation with a one time grant of $5,000.00 this year as well as an additional annual grant of $1,000.00 for a period of twenty (20) years starting in January of 2019 as previously pledged to them. The Manitoba Wildlife Federation will include swan identification within its hunter education course.

I have recently advised Mr. Scott McGuigan that additional funds will be available to Delta Waterfowl for any waterfowl program or project that includes the Trumpeter Swan or the Tundra Swan. If you have any requests or suggestions regarding these additional funds please forward them to him for his due consideration.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
So what are the odds of us actually getting a hunt here in Ontario? Considering the number of non hunters who think hunting Canadian Geese is illegal and they're protected birds, I can't help but think some sort of animal rights group will get involved as soon as talk of a swan hunt hits the news.

Has anyone ate one before and if so, how was it?

Hello CH312,

The odds are very good that we will get a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for Manitoba and Saskatchewan for the 2020 season which would help us get a similar season for Ontario at a later date depending upon the level of interest.

However ... should the level of interest in Ontario be similar to that in Manitoba and Saskatchewan then the odds of us getting a season for Ontario in 2020 will also be very good ... so please support this proposal.

The main opposition will probably come (has come) from the Ontario Trumpeter Swan Restoration Group regarding the incidental harvest of Trumpeter Swans during a potential limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I submitted an extensive 2 1/2 page rebuttal last spring to Dr. H. Lumsden's 1/2 page response (on behalf of the Trumpeter Swan Restoration Group) against my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

The Trumpeter Swan Society, Canadian Wildlife Service, Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources and Forestry, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters as well as Delta Waterfowl have received copies of both documents.

Jerome

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 17, 2018

I would like to provide you with an update on some recent events regarding a potential Tundra Swan season that the Canadian Wildlife Service will be considering.

The proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season that I submitted to the Canadian Wildlife Service on October 05, 2010 was substantiated by the Canadian Wildlife Service's Tundra Swan Season Assessment conducted between April of 2011 and August of 2013.

This proposal now has the support from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation (December of 2017), Delta Waterfowl (February of 2018) as well as the Manitoba Wildlife Federation (September of 2018). However the support from Delta Waterfowl is currently limited to the prairie provinces.

The Canadian Wildlife Service notified me in June of 2018 that my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the provinces of Ontario, Manitoba and Saskatchewan will be considered in the fall of 2019 with a potential implementation for the 2020-21 and 2021-22 hunting seasons.

The Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) advised me in September of 2017 that my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season has merit but that they were unsure of the level of support among Ontario waterfowl hunters at that time.

However the OFAH contacted me again in June of 2018 to advise me that they appreciate my support for a limited Sandhill Crane season and that they will notify me once they decide to move forward with a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I recently provided the staff at the Long Point Waterfowl Management Unit with copies of the letters from the above noted organizations. Your support would be appreciated.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 31, 2018

Re: A Canadian Tundra Swan Season

Dear Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of October 17, 2018 that included some recent significant developments regarding A Canadian Tundra Swan Season this is to request that you submit a short note of support to the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters if you have not already done so.

Reasons to support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season:

1) The Trumpeter Swan and the Tundra Swan are classified as "migratory game birds" under international treaties and the hunting of them is permitted as such.

2) There has been a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for the Western Population in the United States since 1962 and a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season for Eastern Population in the United States since 1983.

3) The USFWS currently permits the hunting of Tundra Swans in Alaska, Montana, Nevada and Utah from the Western Population and in Montana, North Dakota, South Dakota, Maryland, New Jersey and North Carolina from the Eastern Population ... note that Montana has a season for both populations.

4) A limited number of Trumpeter Swans are also permitted as an "incidental harvest" during the "General Swan Season" in Montana, Nevada and Utah.

5) The USFWS has recently proposed expanding hunting opportunities for the Eastern Population of Tundra Swans in additional states in the Atlantic and Mississippi flyways that would include a limited "incidental harvest" of Trumpeter Swans as well. The USFWS has estimated that the continental Trumpeter Swan population is increasing by 10,000 birds per year.

6) The CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment determined that a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is sustainable and that a potential "incidental harvest" of Trumpeter Swans (that would be monitored) would not adversely affect the Trumpeter Swan Population.

Your support will probably determine if a Tundra Swan season includes the Province of Ontario or if it is limited to the Provinces of Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks