A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update

Tundra Swan

Hello Guys,

I posted a new thread "A Canadian Tundra Swan Season - Review and Update" on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum on Thanksgiving Day but I had a problem posting it on this "waterfowl" forum due to its length.

The first part is a summary of the correspondence and discussions that I have had with representatives of the various organizations ... Canadian Wildlife Service, Delta Waterfowl, Ducks Unlimited Canada, Manitoba Wildlife Federation, Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters and the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation. It also lists the financial resources (grants) that are available to "waterfowl" and wildlife organizations that support waterfowl hunting.

The second part is a new Tundra Swan Fact Sheet that I prepared and distributed earlier this year to the representatives of the various organizations mentioned above. However this was before the USFWS announced that they would be increasing the number of Tundra Swan tags by 25% this season.

The third part is a response to some comments and questions that were posted on the "Tundra Swan Permits Have Increased" thread that had not been previously addressed.

The fourth part is a brief update from the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters informing me that "The committee acknowledges there is merit in your proposal but the level of support is still unknown".

I also posted a thread "Trumpeter Swan Population Report" on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum for those who may be interested in this species.

The hunting of Tundra Swans is not for everyone so if you are not interested that is fine ... no need to "rant" against it on this thread.

Thank you.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello John,

You are very welcome but please write to Ms. Dawn Sucee at the OFAH and let her know that you are interested in a Tundra Swan season.

She advised me last month that the OFAH's Wetlands/Migratory Birds Advisory Committee has acknowledged that my proposal has merit but the level of support is unknown.

It is just a matter of time.

Jerome

thanks for your efforts have contacted Ms
Dawn Sucee at OFAH if you think of any one else we should contact don't hesitate to let me know thanks bob

Hello Bob,

Thank you for your support.

I mentioned in my thread on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum that Mr. Jack Hughes (Manager, Population and Habitat Assessment, CWS) has been very supportive of this Tundra Swan initiative so I am sure that he would appreciate hearing from you. I believe that I provided his contact information in my thread.

Let anyone else that may be interested in a Tundra Swan season know about my thread.

Thanks again.

Jerome

Hello Sonnyuphi,

I am at our clubhouse in the Villages so I will prepare something on the weekend for this thread. In the meantime all the contact information is contained within my Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" thread of the same title.

Ms. Dawn Sucee's e-mail address is dawn_sucee@ofah.org but request that she forward a copy of your support to the OFAH Waterfowl and Wetlands Advisory Committee as sell since they have acknowledged that there is "merit" with my Tundra Swan proposal but that "the level of interest is unknown".

I have just received an update from The Trumpeter Swan Society regarding changes to Tundra Swan hunting in the United States. I will try to post this information on Friday from the Port Rowan library since there is a staff member who can help me if I have a technical problem doing this.

The waterfowl unit has a copy of Ms. Dawn Sucee's letter to me that anyone can read to confirm what I have stated here. Please also let her know that you are interested in a Sandhill Crane season as well as per her letter.

Jerome

PS Let your brother know about this.

Hello Sonnyuphi,

I have requested that individuals submit letters of support to Mr. J. Hughes in the past but he advised me in June of this year that the CWS would like to have the support from hunting organizations as well as from individual hunters.

Consequently I am now requesting that all of you submit a letter of support (an e-mail is fine) expressing your interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to Ms. D. Sucee (Fish and Wildlife Biologist, OFAH) with a copy to Mr. J. Hughes (if you have not already done so) because the Canadian Wildlife Service would like to have the support from the hunting community before giving further consideration to the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. Jack Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

I would greatly appreciate receiving a copy of your letter or e-mail as well for my personal file. You may contact me by regular mail (798 Highway 59, Port Rowan, Ontario, N0E 1M0), by telephone (1-519-586-9825), by fax (1-519-586-9825) if you call me first (any evening) and by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com).

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I just posted an update on my thread "Tundra Swan Permits Have Increased" regarding Tundra Swan hunting in the United States. Theses changes will increase the opportunities to hunt Tundra Swans utilizing our tags.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

In response to some favourable comments on the Hunt Ontario "waterfowl" forum I posted the following that you may be interested in.

My previous post stating that I received a letter from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation supporting a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season is missing from this thread.

The following funds in The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation will be available to organizations that support "waterfowl" hunting starting in January of 2018. These funds may be used for any "waterfowl" related project or program. The term "waterfowl" includes ducks, geese and swans.

There will be a total of $30,000.00 available at the end of this year with another $8,000.00 available at the end of 2018, another $9,000.00 available at the end of 2019, another $10,000.00 available at the end of 2020 and so on ... increasing by $1,000.00 each year thereafter.

The first $30,000.00 has been set aside for Delta Waterfowl ($10,000.00), Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters ($10,000.00), Manitoba Wildlife Federation ($5,000.00) and Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation ($5,000.00). I am waiting to hear back from the other three organizations.

I have told the Board of Directors for Delta Waterfowl that to "remain silent" regarding this Tundra Swan initiative is to support the "status quo" which is to keep all the current 9600 tags in the United States and that is not acceptable ... not now ... not ever.

Please keep in mind that the USFWS will be increasing the number of tags by 25% or another 2400 tags as announced during the summer.

So please help make this proposal a reality.

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

Hello Guys,

I stated in my last post on December 22, 2017 that my previous post from December 20, 2017 had been deleted. Stomp has acknowledged that there was a "clich" in the system and that some posts from that day were lost.

I stated in that lost post that I had recently received a letter dated December 05, 2017 from the Saskatchewan Wildlife Federation stating that they support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season as per the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment that was completed in August of 2013.

Consequently, since they support "waterfowl" hunting, they will be receiving a one time grant of $5,000.00 in January of 2018 followed by an addional annual grant of $1,000.00 for 20 years starting in January of 2019.

Jerome

Hello Guys,

I just read the Canadian Wildlife Service update on the amendments to the Migratory Birds Regulations ... the first draft which was completed last fall is now under a review before being published.

The amended regulations will be published for a 60 day public comment period in the fall of 2018. After that period is over there will be a second review with the final amended regulations to be published in the spring of 2019.

Consequently the earliest that the Canadian Wildlife Service will be able to request a return of some of our Tundra Swan tags would be the summer of 2019 for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in 2020.

I realized when I started this Tundra Swan project on October 05, 2010 (date that I submitted my proposal) that it would take at least five years but probably eight years and maybe even ten years to complete.

The Canadian Wildlife Service will still need to be convinced that you want a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season so if you have not written to the CWS as well as the OFAH as previously requested please do so now.

Thank you for all of your support over the last few years.

Jerome

Last edited:
Hello Guys,

I just read the Canadian Wildlife Service update on the amendments to the Migratory Birds Regulations ... the first draft which was completed last fall is now under a review before being published.

The amended regulations will be published for a 60 day public comment period in the fall of 2018. After that period is over there will be a second review with the final amended regulations to be published in the spring of 2019.

Consequently the earliest that the Canadian Wildlife Service will be able to request a return of some of our Tundra Swan tags would be the summer of 2019 for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in 2020.

I realized when I started this Tundra Swan project on October 05, 2010 (date that I submitted my proposal) that it would take at least five years but probably eight years and maybe even ten years to complete.

The Canadian Wildlife Service will still need to be convinced that you want a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season so if you have not written to the CWS as well as the OFAH as previously requested please do so now.

Thank you for all of your support over the last few years.

Jerome

What is the email address?

Hello Ganderndrakes,

The contact information is in Post # 8.

You may contact Ms. D. Sucee by regular mail (4601 Guthrie Drive, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 6Y3 or P.O. Box 2800, Peterborough, Ontario, K9J 8L5), by telephone (1-705-748-6324 ext. 204), by fax (1-705-748-9577) and by e-mail (dawn_sucee@ofah.org).

You may contact Mr. Jack Hughes (Manager, Wildlife and Habitat Assessment, CWS) by regular mail (335 River Road, Ottawa, Ontario, K1A 0H3), by telephone (1-613-949-8259), by fax (1-613-949-8307) and by e-mail (jack.hughes@canada.ca).

Jerome

Hello Guys,

Here is the official notice that Mr. Jack Hughes sent to me last week.

Status Update on Modernization of Migratory Birds Regulations:

Drafted in 1917, the Migratory Birds Regulations (Regulations) have never been comprehensively updated or revised. As such, the Department is currently undertaking the process of amending the Regulations to update the language to modern standards, correct errors, re-structure the regulations for clarity, address enforcement issues, and clarify the provisions relating to the management of migratory bird hunting. The amendments also include references to Aboriginal Peoples of Canada (implementation of the Parksville Protocol to the Migratory Birds Convention between Canada and the United States (schedule, section 2).

Consultations on the proposed amendments with respect to references to Aboriginal people and the management of hunting were held in 2013 and 2014 respectively. The comments received during these consultations have been carefully considered and the Department is now working with the Department of Justice to draft the new Regulations with a complete first draft of the new Regulations anticipated for the fall of 2017. Consultations related to baiting for the purpose of hunting were held in 2017, and feedback is still being considered.

After the draft of the new Regulations has been carefully reviewed within ECCC, the federal regulatory process for amending Canadian regulations will be initiated. It is anticipated that the proposed new Regulations will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part I in the fall of 2018 for a 60-day public consultation period, after which the Department will carefully consider the comments received. It is anticipated that the final regulations will be published in the Canada Gazette, Part II in the spring of 2019 and come into force in time for the fall hunting season that year.

For more information on the modernization of the Migratory Birds Regulations, please contact the Canadian Wildlife Service:
ec.scf-oismiggibiers-cws-miggamebirds.ec@canada.ca
Report a problem or mistake on this page