11-87 Rifled Barrel - What Slugs

cutty

I have recently decided to start using my shotgun for late season and was wondering on some slugs for same. To save a lengthy sighting in and a sore shoulder if anyone has recommendations on type it would be appreciated. I have a couple of pkgs of Hornady 300gr for rifled barrels only that the former owner gave to me.

Those seem to shoot well out of most barrels. I shoot them out of my 1300 and a Mossberg 835 before that. Never didn't kill a deer that they actually hit...

But unfortunately every gun is different. Sucks sabots cost so so much its not fun to waste $15-20 bucks per 5.

Thanks for your input at WinSX3Tom, I will try the Hornady and hope it gets done in $15-$20.

I have two 11-87's that I use for deer season. Sportsman 3" with open tru glo sights rifled barrel and it loves Federal 3" 300g Trophy.
Second gun is 11-87 SP scoped 3-9X40 Buckridge and is really good with Winchester XP3 300g or Partition Gold in 385g but in 2 and 3/4
Surprizing neither gun likes any of the Remington Core Lokt Sabots.
Took a few $$ to sort them out a few years ago.

Thanks for giving me heads up on Remington. Mine is 2 and 3/4 so will try the Winchester XP3 in 300gr. Any place better than the rest for $

hey @SOUTHWIND sounds like you know your ammo..just wondered whats your max killing range for accuracy with your scoped rifled barrel set-up...can it put out almost 2000 fps coming out of the barrel and kill 200 yds...
I believe in & shoot small & fast scoped muzzleloader load 240 grain 15o grain charge puts me just under 2200 fps for under 1" moa touchin holes..

less bullet weight = more velocity = less bullet drop compensation for longer range performance...accuracy is a personal load for almost every firearm

very suprised winchester slugs with the name XP3 are available...the XP3 (bullet) centrefire ammo replaced the fail safe (bullet) winchester years ago...the XP3 was discontinued and discretly stopped manufacturing it in my calibre and others 4 to 5 years ago...I can tell you first hand I used it successfully and I did make all one shot kills on several big gamers with the 150 grain Win XP3 270 wsm...i did have bullet blowup on one blackbear over bait...i took his heart right out with shrapnel recovered from the vitials...so ya XP3 bonded bullet could not handle short range magnum velocity...so i got over that...next issue i killed a big elk at 370 yds through both lungs/shoulders and recovered the XP3 from the far shoulder inbetween the hide
well...the XP3 bullet did not expand...with its patended double expansion performance...anyway...that was it with the XP3 for me...I now just started shooting the winchesters nosler accubond CT in a 140 grain at 3200 fps..and took 2 lung shots Nov. caribou kill at 128 yds..there tough... and a spring black bear heart shot at 228yds...
ammo performance to me is everything...just thought i would tell ya my XP3 story...i am sure there is more to tell or say about the name XP3...
sure theres a difference soft slugs to bonded centrefire bullets...but XP3 is XP3...

Last edited:
Nope, never pull the trigger on a 200 yard shot with that gun given a -7" drop with that 300 grain. Good 125 yard gun all day though and that's my comfort zone and what I normally sight it for. Fills the tag.

hey @SOUTHWIND sounds like you know your ammo..just wondered whats your max killing range for accuracy with your scoped rifled barrel set-up...can it put out almost 2000 fps coming out of the barrel and kill 200 yds...
I believe in & shoot small & fast scoped muzzleloader load 240 grain 15o grain charge puts me just under 2200 fps for under 1" moa touchin holes..

less bullet weight = more velocity = less bullet drop compensation for longer range performance...accuracy is a personal load for almost every firearm

very suprised winchester slugs with the name XP3 are available...the XP3 (bullet) centrefire ammo replaced the fail safe (bullet) winchester years ago...the XP3 was discontinued and discretly stopped manufacturing it in my calibre and others 4 to 5 years ago...I can tell you first hand I used it successfully and I did make all one shot kills on several big gamers with the 150 grain Win XP3 270 wsm...i did have bullet blowup on one blackbear over bait...i took his heart right out with shrapnel recovered from the vitials...so ya XP3 bonded bullet could not handle short range magnum velocity...so i got over that...next issue i killed a big elk at 370 yds through both lungs/shoulders and recovered the XP3 from the far shoulder inbetween the hide
well...the XP3 bullet did not expand...with its patended double expansion performance...anyway...that was it with the XP3 for me...I now just started shooting the winchesters nosler accubond CT in a 140 grain at 3200 fps..and took 2 lung shots Nov. caribou kill at 128 yds..there tough... and a spring black bear heart shot at 228yds...
ammo performance to me is everything...just thought i would tell ya my XP3 story...i am sure there is more to tell or say about the name XP3...
sure theres a difference soft slugs to bonded centrefire bullets...but XP3 is XP3...
I use a 870 scoped 24"rifled barrel
and shoot the Remington core lokt ultra 385gr? the scope is zero @ 150 yards and can hit kill zone from 25-175 without adjustment
anything over 175 and it dropps like a rock.
I have taken several deer in the 150-180 yard range with it
shells are hard to come by and pricey 26$ /5

Can someone take a picture of there Remington barrel where the cantilever is attached to the barrel.. I want too see how the piece of metal is situated between the scope mount bar and the barrel.. I believe mine was put together backwards.. this barrel shoots rediculously high no matter how I adjust the scopes(I've had 3 on it) and I refuse too use this gun. Also a picture of how the cantilever bar sits compared to the receiver. If someone has got it on an 1187 that would be extremely helpful!

Hi Chipper can you take a photo and post it...I have mounted many scopes...it has been my experience where the rings need to be the right height where the scope objective is as close to the top of the barrel you can get it without touching...on some rifles & MLs just enough to slide on a scope cover..I use butler creek covers..
a laser bore sighter is a quick and easy way to adjust your elevation and windage before you zero it in ..a gun shop can do that for ya...use to be $5 bucks..
I have seen many scopes mounted to high from the top of the barrel..never trusted anybody to mount rails bases rings and scopes on any of my firearms..after I adjust full circle of view and eye relief.. I locktite all the fastners evenly..thats a must..

you can call remington and ask what size rings you need..1-800-243-9700
refusing to use your firearm for a improper scope mount...wow thats not right
hope that info helps

Last edited:
Hope this helps you figure it out

Attachments

• 87-1.jpg
    87-1.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 18
  • 87-2.jpg
    87-2.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 87-3.jpg
    87-3.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 16
Thanks,,, I was right.. the metal spacer was machined backwards. Now the ball is in Remington's court to make good on it.

Southwind I really like the furniture on that gun.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks