Wind Turbines coming to a Lake near you..

Do you support wind farms in Lake Erie

• Yes

Votes: 3 10.3%
  • No

Votes: 26 89.7%

• Total voters

G.Mech

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
It looks like Ohio is proceeding with wind turbines in Lake Erie and it could be a lot of them. With all the outstanding lawsuits against them from the wind energy companies, I fully believe our Ontario Government will follow suit before too long but I hope I'm wrong. What I find truly amazing is that 2/3 of respondents to the LFP on-line poll are in favour of this. Let's do our own Stomp's poll: Do you support wind farms in the lake?

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/11/29/ohio-group-moving-ahead-with-big-plans-to-harness-lake-eries-wind

It looks like Ohio is proceeding with wind turbines in Lake Erie and it could be a lot of them. With all the outstanding lawsuits against them from the wind energy companies, I fully believe our Ontario Government will follow suit before too long but I hope I'm wrong. What I find truly amazing is that 2/3 of respondents to the LFP on-line poll are in favour of this. Let's do our own Stomp's poll: Do you support wind farms in the lake?

http://www.lfpress.com/2015/11/29/ohio-group-moving-ahead-with-big-plans-to-harness-lake-eries-wind
NO NO NO

What will this do to the fishery and the fish?If I didn't fish I probably wouldn't care but I fish so I care.Also the maintaince on the turbines would be high.Also I have heard they shut down the turbines when its really windy because the turbines would fall apart.

I hope that kind of green energy stays in the west end of the lake, it will match the toxic mess that is floating on top of the water in the summer.

Leaky

Reactions: Rex
will only be visible from shore on a clear day — but only barely, as thumbnail-sized images on the horizon, Karpinski said.

So they must be thinking of an area out by the border, rather than cluttering up the shore line.

I hope that they are looking at all the migratory routes of birds, butterflies, etc. to address any adverse effects before they start plunking them in - here's hopin'.....

WR

They could be a fish magnet.....something like the gas drilling rigs are.

That's very true...structure attracts bait, bait attracts fish. Not sure that make this idea a good thing though...drill rigs are temporary & there's not 3000 of them off our beaches.

Bad idea. How will they hold up in the ice? What is the expected life span of these units? The lines back to shore going to be buried or lay on top of the lake floor? How will their placement affect the shipping lanes? What kind of environmental impact on the lake during construction? To many questions and so far no real answers, although in the article it said it's definitely a go. I still think it's a bad idea but more answers would be nice. Our government will probably follow suit so I wonder how much a project like this will tack on to the old hydro bill?

Talked with a fellow from Poland ,whose family where commercial fisherman . After the off shore windfarm was completed and running , The fish disappeared from that location ,never returned

The problem is always the same. The majority of the voting public live in urban areas where they are not negatively impacted by wind farms. Most of our citizens see this as one of many viable solutions to climate change. Those of us who are negatively impacted because these machines are being built near our homes or where we recreate have a different view. We must balance the negative with the positive and typically the negative wins. It's really tough to accept a huge industrial wind mill built in the field near your home and it won't be any easier having them stuck out in the Lake when your passion is to get away from it all by going out there fishing. Eventually we will get used to them. It will be like fishing near a power plant except there are likely to be lots of them.

The problem is always the same. The majority of the voting public live in urban areas where they are not negatively impacted by wind farms. Most of our citizens see this as one of many viable solutions to climate change. Those of us who are negatively impacted because these machines are being built near our homes or where we recreate have a different view. We must balance the negative with the positive and typically the negative wins. It's really tough to accept a huge industrial wind mill built in the field near your home and it won't be any easier having them stuck out in the Lake when your passion is to get away from it all by going out there fishing. Eventually we will get used to them. It will be like fishing near a power plant except there are likely to be lots of them.
well well the old climate change thing a gain we don't change the climate its china and india I donot feel guilty one bit when I start the outboard and the lawn mower wtf how u gonna change the chineese and indian government trying to make Canadians feel guilty over this shit is stupidit blows here from there or like other day they couldn't see for smogi hate that shit blaming us for this AT ONE TIME THERE WAS NO ICE OR SNOW ON GOODOL EARTH UNTIL THE BIG BANG KNOCKE EARTH OF KILTER LILL BIT

Don't worry trudumbo likely sold us down the river to solve all the world's problems at this climate summit in Paris. Somehow Canadians are too stupid to look over the ocean and see all this stuff we are implenting already failing.

They could be a fish magnet.....something like the gas drilling rigs are.

Maybe, but more likely these windmills be be as far offshore as possible to take advantage of the higher wind speed away from shore. If they do build thousands, there will be multiple high voltage lines that run all the way into shore. These high voltage lines (like under water fences)will give off a magnetic field that most walleye will sense through their lateral lines and avoid. This might be great for us Canucks, as the Yanks might have changed the migration routes for lake Erie walleye. We should benefit as all the walleye in Lake Erie will now only migrate along the north shore. (Wake me up when its spring)

The Leamington, Wheatly area are starved for electricity, with the boom of massive green house industry in the area. New grid feeder lines have be built over the past few yrs, with there carrying capacity more or less used up as quick as they are completed.
Would make sense the government would, (if these wind farms are to be built), start in the western end of the lake?? Then again, government and make sense? not sure about that?

The Leamington, Wheatly area are starved for electricity, with the boom of massive green house industry in the area. New grid feeder lines have be built over the past few yrs, with there carrying capacity more or less used up as quick as they are completed.
Would make sense the government would, (if these wind farms are to be built), start in the western end of the lake?? Then again, government and make sense? not sure about that?

I may be wrong but all the new feeder lines were built to carry the power from the wind farms to the big cities....the greenhouses are heated by gas so I can't really see how they're starved for power.

Last edited:
Most of these green house's are so energy reliant, they have their own transformer stations, H1 only supply's up to 500kw transformer banks, most are well past that? Don't think your taking in the incredible lighting and fan load.
From what I know, smaller power producer's do hook to the grid, the larger electric Farm's, build their own feeder line,s to the grid,s transformer station?

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks