Lake Kipawa QC 3 Seasons Camp

DaveJ

Four of us did a week in Quebec on Lake Kipawa at 3 Seasons Camp. Its a boat-in from Laniel to the camp run by Reggie and his family. Outstanding accommodations and service..he really takes care of his people. Everything is there except food and drinks. Great boats/motors...and the fishing...

Big lake. He shows you the areas producing at this time of the year as it changes with water temps, etc. Walleye, lakers, pike, smallmouth....all there. Walleye were in large #s once you got on them. Pike are with the walleyes, and cruising most areas, although its not a numbers pike lake. Lakers are easy to get on, just require you spend the time.

We concentrated on the eyes...am to around 10, then after breakfast, jigged for lakers. Afternoon snooze, then hit the eyes from 6-10pm. Eyes average 1-3lbs with the odd big girl showing up--they're more common later in the summer. Lakers averaged 4-5lbs, but some hawgs are there. Pike...2-10 lbs. Incidental but if you target them you'd get more.

Great spot for a drive-to-boat in. Remote for a 6-7 hr drive.
Numbers of fish (pm bite 20-50 fish common), relaxing...no cell or TV, which means fishing, eating, a few drinks, horseshoes, naps!!
P1010863_zpsekmzyodm.jpg

P1010858_zpsybvnruaz.jpg

6fa17032-900a-469f-b4c5-01498efc3063_zpsdp8m3rd9.jpg

P1010872_zps58wybhvb.jpg

Great report guys on Kipawa. Was there several years back but my experience don't have fond memories like yours. The resort I stayed at had a marker blow off a big rock that was only 10 inches under water 2 weeks before I arrived. He forgot to replace it and of course didn't tell me either and yes on our fourth day I hit it. Totally smashed the bottom end which needless to say ended our fishing trip to Quebec early. His apology was not well received as it cost me $3,150 for the lower unit replacement when I got back to London. :mad:

Ouch. Kipawa is definitely a mine field of lower end eaters. Reggie has his area well marked, but is quick to warn of rocks and reefs all over if you choose to explore. We went into areas with his boats that would have used a hundred markers to mark hazards.

We as Ontarians have so many great destinations all with an 8 hour drive it can be hard to choose 1. I know many Americans that drive more than 8 hours before they hit the border. So many choices, so little $$$. Time isn't a problem, yet.

Ouch. Kipawa is definitely a mine field of lower end eaters. Reggie has his area well marked, but is quick to warn of rocks and reefs all over if you choose to explore. We went into areas with his boats that would have used a hundred markers to mark hazards.

This was supposed to be the main route between the islands where he said was clearly marked, except of course for the one he forgot about was missing.:rolleyes: I'm used to fishing lots of northern rock filled lakes so I was totally careful in all other areas we went. After many, many passes in a channel he said was supposed to be all marked maybe I was just over one way or the other 5-10 ft. and K-BANG. :banghead:

It looks like someone had a great fish fry. I turned into a die hard catch and release guy until I realized those fish are swimming around as part of the food chain. Nothing wrong with a good scarf of fresh fish now and then.

We were fishing a "hump"...went from 60ft to 6" in 3 boat lengths. It was marked with a flag...but there were ones like it all over the place. Some of the guys ran at night...not me...back before sundown.

Reminds me of the Ottawa where we had a camp. A minefield is a good description. I will take low water levels any day, this high water we have this year is worse, some big shoals just under the surface today. The birds are standing in ankle deep water.

We were on Lake Kipawa last year, at Chalets Dianne, right in Laniel. Beautiful area, huge lake. We also hit bottom, but it was farther down the lake, and luckily no damage.
We didn't get lots of fish but had a great time trying. Both the Ministry and the Provincial Police were on the water several days while we were there. so if you go, make sure you are aware of the rules and have all your safety gear.
Like mentioned earlier, not that far to drive for remoteness and as a bonus, cheaper beer!!

Reggie picks you up at the landing just outside Laniel...brings a big Starcraft for the trip in with all your gear..about 20 mins at full trottle. Some bring their own boats, but really not necessary as his boats are great for the area. Never saw any MNR but the laws are strict, esp with slot size and bait...get caught with minnows and its one expensive trip.
Its a big big lake, and although the fish are there in numbers, you have to know where they are that week, that day. Reggie puts you onto the fish TODAY, but tomorrow might be different. He grew up on the lake, guided...he knows it well. All about water temp and post spawn location for the eyes..lakers are in traditional spots, pike and smallmouth...anywhere. Pike are eating the small eyes like candy. We cleaned a 24" pike for lunch and it had a 12" walleye in its belly!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks