VHF Radio

Luke Warmwater

Hi guys and gals. I just purchased a Uniden DSC marine radio and I've never owned one before. I take it the channel used most commonly on Lake Erie (Port Bruce) is 68?
Also, do I need to apply for a MMSI number, as my radio has a distress button on it?
Is there anything else I should know? My boat is an 18' bowrider.
Any advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thanks.

You have to have an MMSI if you cross into U.S. waters.My advice is to get one anyway.Why not take full advantage of any technology available to you.If you wire a gps to the radio and have to hit the distress button,your coords will be sent to the coast guard over the radio.They will know who you are,type of boat and exactly where you are.

You have to have an MMSI if you cross into U.S. waters.My advice is to get one anyway.Why not take full advantage of any technology available to you.If you wire a gps to the radio and have to hit the distress button,your coords will be sent to the coast guard over the radio.They will know who you are,type of boat and exactly where you are.

Excellent, thanks Mumph. I will do that.

Your MMSI (Maritime Mobile Service Identity) is your Digital ID on the radio. They are free to get and you can apply for it over the internet. If you run into distress and use your 'button' Sarnia Coast Guard Radio will know who is in distress. Combined with your registration info they will know who your are, your vessel size, makeup etc. Having just your MMSI is a good idea, but like Mumph said if you can wire it up with your GPS and distress, Coast Guard will also know where you are on top of who you are. Overall a huge step in maritime safety if you ask me.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/sd-sd.nsf/eng/00009.html
This is the Industry Canada location for the MMSI application forms (Annex "A" is what you'll need to start) Painless and no charge. Maybe take a look at Annex "H" because I think there was something in there too that had to be completed.
They were quite helpful and quick. Take the time to get the MMSI number and connect your GPS to the DSC radio for that extra comfort level in case things go wrong in a hurry out there.

It's being put on by Canadian Power and Sail. Cost is $115 if your not a member. You can register for the course on their website. Hope this helps, and maybe see you there.

Also say if you run a Lowrance product and your buddies run Lowrance products you can give each other your MMSI # and see where each other are fishing on your F.F.

I just got my MMSI number, but I don't have a Lowrance, I have a Uniden.

You still wire your GPS/Chartplotter to your VHF so you can use your MMSI with the DSC emergency call button on your radio. If you have a Lowrance chartplotter, it just allows you to see the positions of other boats on your graph if you know their MMSI number.

Another great feature with DSC(digital select calling)radios is if you know your friends MMSI numbers you can call them direct.When you get called your radio rings like a phone until you key the mic.The call is on ch.70 so it's a private radio call.This way if you are fishing a good spot you can let your buddies know without an armada of boats showing up to your location.

Just an FYI...Regs say as soon as you turn the radio on, that is considered "operation" and you need a Marine Radio Operators license.

I dont believe you have to have a radio licence anymore. Heres from the Industry Canada site...

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by ReferenceRBR-2.

Saying that, a radio operators course is a VERY good idea. It teaches you the PROPER use of a marine radio which unfortunately over the last few years seems to be a thing of the past. Nothing more frustrating than idle boat chatter on the working channels

This is a quote from the CPS website, who certifies the licensing for Industry Canada.

" To operate a maritime radio, you need the certificate. It's the law!"

I'm in the midst of taking the course, because I would not want to have to pay the fine by not having it. lol

Last edited:
I dont believe you have to have a radio licence anymore. Heres from the Industry Canada site...

Ship Radio Station Licensing
Licensing Requirements
Do I need a licence for the marine radio equipment on board my vessel?

You will not require a licence if you meet both of the following criteria:

• the vessel is not operated in the sovereign waters of a country other than Canada.
  • the radio equipment on board the vessel is only capable of operating on frequencies that are allocated for maritime mobile communications or marine radio navigation. You can verify whether the frequencies you use are in the maritime mobile band by referring to Regulation by ReferenceRBR-2.

Saying that, a radio operators course is a VERY good idea. It teaches you the PROPER use of a marine radio which unfortunately over the last few years seems to be a thing of the past. Nothing more frustrating than idle boat chatter on the working channels

There is a little more text to this statement.

"Certification
Do I still require a Radio Operator Certificate?

Yes. The Radio Operator Certificate is still a requirement for anyone who may be operating the aeronautical radio equipment, regardless of whether a radio licence is required."

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks