Port Bruce Ice question

can't miss

Has there ever been enough ice at Pt Bruce to ice fish?? I'm guessing because the lake is so open there it never really freezes? Or if it does, it freezes im-passable? Just wondering as I was watching the weather station and they said last year was the first times in many years 90% of the lake was frozen over.

Here is a satellite image of Lake Erie last winter in late February. Looks 100% frozen over to me with ice up to 36 inches thick in parts. The entire Great lakes were more than 95% froze over last winter as observed in the second photo. Yeah, looks like global warming to me.:rolleyes:

modis-lake-erie1.jpg

steam%20fog%20freezing%20polar%20vortex%20january%202014%20cold%20snap%20wind%20chill%20great%20lakes%20chicago%20toronto%20buffalo%20detroit%20cleveland%20weather%20forecast%20wednesday%20temperatures%201.JPG

WTH, that's what I'm looking for info about, the documentary I watched showed pretty much the same photo's, same ice coverage.
Just wonder why, if the lake is solid, why there's no ice fishing in other places beside the bay's, longpoint, ect?
Knowing the wind's at Bruce, I'm guessing the ice never get's good? Or are the fish gone, migrated? What about this Hasting's reef alot speak of, is it poor ice or no fish?
I'm no were near a lake expert, just curious?
Thanks

You can try, people did last year, but there is a sign up to stay off ice, so every time someone would, the cops and fire trucks show up, so I think since manicaplity owns harbour and don't want the liability ,but they don t own the lake but still flex there authority and kick people off

WTH, that's what I'm looking for info about, the documentary I watched showed pretty much the same photo's, same ice coverage.
Just wonder why, if the lake is solid, why there's no ice fishing in other places beside the bay's, longpoint, ect?
Knowing the wind's at Bruce, I'm guessing the ice never get's good? Or are the fish gone, migrated? What about this Hasting's reef alot speak of, is it poor ice or no fish?
I'm no were near a lake expert, just curious?
Thanks

I really couldn't tell you if they fish out there through the ice or not. I've never ventured out because it always looks treacherous the way the ice piles up from the winds. As @rushcreek mentioned they don't want anyone going out there. It's a big lake so why look for trouble? It can be nasty on soft water let alone on hard. I would try proven places such as Long Point Bay, Lake Simcoe or Lake St. Clair for ice fishing myself. I believe you will find the fishing much safer and better anyway. Hope that helps. :)

I always thought bluff bar would be the holy grail of ice fishing........but last winter it was proven to be nothing special. The open holes that never really freeze solid on the open lake, because of the up and down motion of the water, due to wind, could really ruin your day. The shove ice can be three feet thick in one spot and an inch in another.......don't think its worth a fish supper!

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks