Long Point Waterfowlers' Association AGM 2014

Tundra Swan

798 Highway 59
Port Rowan, Ontario
N0E 1M0

October 19, 2014

Re: Long Point Waterfowlers' Association AGM 2014

Dear Fellow Waterfowlers:

Further to my letter of October 12, 2014 regarding the Association of Tundra Swan Hunters (please refer to the designated thread for more information) I have been encouraged by an individual well known within our waterfowling community to respond to the comments that were made by another individual at our Annual General Meeting last spring regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

I do not believe that there is any reason to identifying the individual who made these comments since most Long Point Waterfowlers' Association (LPWA) members who attended our Annual General Meeting (AGM) last spring will know the identity of the individual. Furthermore it is not my intention to draw any negative attention towards this individual personally but rather to defend my reputation from a financial perspective since his comments were misleading, inaccurate, inappropriate and quite frankly ... untrue.

The LPWA Board of Directors agreed to provide me with an opportunity to present an update at our AGM in the spring of 2014 regarding my original presentation promoting a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season at our AGM in the spring of 2011. I provided the LPWA members with a Tundra Swan Fact Sheet handout since my presentation would be limited to only ten (10) minutes and I wanted to provide the LPWA members with adequate time for any questions that they may have.

I was very disappointed when this individual attempted to monopolize the remaining time available after my brief presentation was over especially since he never asked me a question regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season but rather focused on making several comments regarding my financial affairs.

This individual commenced his diatribe (during what should have been a question and answer period regarding my presentation) by stating that I already knew where he stood regarding this issue and that he was not going to repeat it. I believe that this comment was totally inappropriate since this was a LPWA AGM and not a personal meeting between just the two of us. Furthermore I believe that the other LPWA members attending our AGM should have received the benefit of hearing his views regarding a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season so that they would have an opportunity to question him about his views.

This individual then continued to state that I have a lot of enthusiasm, a lot of time and a lot of money but then stated that "we have not seen any of it" (referring to my money). I attempted to remind him of a previous private conversation that we had in January of 2012 as well as the contents of a letter that I had recently sent to numerous individuals of various waterfowl organizations (including himself) regarding the distribution of funds within The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation but he abruptly interrupted me by stating "we don't want your money".

I believe that I must respond to these two (2) statements before continuing with his diatribe.

His first statement "we have not seen any of it" did not identify who was included in the "we" and consequently I do not know who he was referring to ... his staff, the LPWA membership, the OFAH membership (since the LPWA is an OFAH club) or the general public (since our AGM is open to the general public).

I do not believe that I need to disclose the financial contributions that I have made to the OFAH since 1979, Ducks Unlimited Canada since 1980, Wildlife Habitat Canada since 1985, Delta Waterfowl Foundation since 2001, Long Point Waterfowlers' Association since 2005 (including a special $500.00 donation in 2006) and The Trumpeter Swan Society since 2013. However I do believe that I must disclose the financial contributions that I have made to the organization that this individual represents since I have personally contributed $100.00 annually from 2011 to 2014 (inclusive) for a total of $400.00 with a pledge to continue to contribute $100.00 annually in the future. I also have signed personal correspondence from this individual confirming these contributions along with official income tax receipts.

Furthermore this individual is well aware of the fact that I attended (paid a $250.00 registration fee) the North American Duck Symposium (NADS 5) that his organization co-sponsored in August of 2009, that I pledged a $500.00 sponsorship in 2012 for his organization to host an Ontario Waterfowl Symposium (that has not happened yet) and that I was a financial sponsor for the Fifth International Swan Symposium that was held in Maryland last winter.

His second statement "we don't want your money" also did not identify who was included in the "we" and consequently I do not know who he was referring to ... his staff, the LPWA membership, the OFAH membership (since the LPWA is an OFAH club) or the general public (since our AGM is open to the general public).

Although we had previously discussed in 2010 the potential transfer of one of my major assets (valued at over $500,000.00 at that time) to the organization that he represents I was subsequently advised by a few well known individuals within our waterfowling community not to do so. After further discussion with a RBC Dominion Securities legal representative regarding my estate plan we established The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation in December of 2010 with additional options regarding my estate plan for the sole benefit of various waterfowl organizations.

It would appear from his comments that the organization that he represents does not wish to receive any further financial support from me, my charitable foundation or my estate and consequently I am willing to comply with this wish. Furthermore I have subsequently received written notice from him and his communication manager confirming this.

However this individual did continued (in an apparent attempt to qualify his previous statement) by suggesting that if I would contribute funds towards a research project regarding the control of phragmites then "we would be behind you" on that issue.

This individual knew (from the detailed financial contents of the letter that he had previously received and had responded to) that $21,000.00 would become available for such a research project between the end of 2015 and the end of 2020 with an additional $6,000.00 per year thereafter in perpetuity.

Furthermore this amount would be adjusted for inflation periodically as provided for within my charitable foundation.

Unfortunately it would appear that this individual was not aware of the "quid pro quo" axiom often used by lawyers.

If you are interested in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season and have any comments or questions that you were unable to make or ask at our AGM last spring you may contact me by e-mail (thebuddyboy@hotmail.com), regular mail (at the above address) or by telephone (519-586-9825) any evening (1900 to 2330 EST).

Sincerely,

J. Katchin, D.V.M.

I find it odd that this individual said "WE" did not want any of your money, but brought up the fact that "WE" haven't seen any money in the first place (must have be concered somewhere along the line to mention it in the first place)
I was not present at the meeting, but if you were present, it probably means that you are a member and have paid to be one???
Sometimes there's no pleasing someone no matter what you do
Don't let other people's opinion stand in the way of your efforts
I wouldn't be where I am today, if I listened to everyone else's "opinions"

If what you're saying is true (I was not there, and believe there's two sides to every story), then I would say the actions of the said member were highly inappropriate.

I have an idea of your efforts on this, but would like to know who else is on board with this? Is there any favourable feedback from the likes of the MNR or CWS?

I would be for such a hunt. Even though I probably wouldn't put much effort into hunting swans personally, I do believe that if an animal has a healthy and sustainable population, it should be available to harvest. And I don't believe that "pretty" animals should be exempt from harvest because it may sour the stomaches of people who shouldn't matter anyways.

Was this from the spring meeting 6 months ago?
must not of mattered that much if it took 6 months to bring it up

Why such a hate on for this guy?

Looks like he's doing move to promote waterfowling then most of us combined!

Don.

Sniveling is a nice way of putting it. This guy just wont let it go. Every couple of weeks he posts up some kind of bs update on the progress of his tundra swan hunt proposal and how much money he has.
Just let it go already.

I also think the only reason he wants the swan hunt is because they loaf out in the bay next to his house and he could sit in his backyard and shoot one. Because I sure as yet have never seen him kill any ducks in the unit.

Guys, I had to edit some of the messages in the thread as I felt them to be are contrary to the agreement that goes along with being a member on this site. Please refrain from posting personal attacks and/or defamatory or hateful messages. Thanks.

I also think the only reason he wants the swan hunt is because they loaf out in the bay next to his house and he could sit in his backyard and shoot one. Because I sure as yet have never seen him kill any ducks in the unit.

If this was true....wouldn't he be shooting all the ducks that loaf along the causeway too????
Just because he doesn't hunt the unit doesn't make his intensions any less worthy (way more to long point, than the boundaries of the Unit)
It also takes a incredible amount of effort and time to try and establish a new open season here in Ontario, especially if you don't have certain people in your "back pocket"
Stop the needless hate on this guy!
If you hate his posts, choose not to read them

this post was titled Long Point Waterfowlers' Association AGM 2014 and events that happened 6 months ago that are just being brought up, So that's probably why people wrote something, I know that's why I did.
It is hard defiantly to open a new season specially one that I would say 80% of guys I've talk to don't want it and are sick of hearing about it.

this post was titled Long Point Waterfowlers' Association AGM 2014 and events that happened 6 months ago that are just being brought up, So that's probably why people wrote something, I know that's why I did.
It is hard defiantly to open a new season specially one that I would say 80% of guys I've talk to don't want it and are sick of hearing about it.

80% are sick of hearing about it, but 80% of them would buy a tag!

80% wouldn't have to buy a tag, as Tundra Swan has offered to buy this for you in lieu of a favourable vote on his proposal. I was at the spring meeting many months ago and there are definitely two sides to every story.

Guys, I had to edit some of the messages in the thread as I felt them to be are contrary to the agreement that goes along with being a member on this site. Please refrain from posting personal attacks and/or defamatory or hateful messages. Thanks.
If people are writing stuff against what is contrary to the site rules, gas them. Otherwise its more fodder for the "old boys club." I don't have a clue who this guy is but would love the opportunity to shoot a swan if I so choose.

Hello Guys:

The following is my response to the comments and questions that have been posted. Although some of the original comments have recently been edited from this thread I had made some preliminary notes regarding these edited comments and consequently I will attempt to briefly respond to them as well (see notes).

1) Hardcore ... I originally hunted the LPWMU from 1978 to 1986 (inclusively) and I have recently hunted the LPWMU since 2004 when I moved down here ... maybe that was a mistake. I became a member of the LPWA in 2005 and I have been a LPWA member since that time.

In response to your question I can confirm that the individual in question did request a meeting with me in January of 2012 during which he requested an annual donation of $25,000.00 from me to fund various research projects. Unfortunately I had to decline this request for the following reasons:

a) I contribute $25,000.00 annually to The Dr. Jerome Katchin Waterfowl Foundation as per the financial plan that he was well aware of but only the income earned by this capital would be available for donations to various waterfowl organizations (including the one that he represented).

b) However I had already pledged the income ($10,000.00) that would be earned by the first $100,000.00 (capital from the first four years) to the Canadian Wildlife Service (CWS) for the implementation of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario with subsequent annual earnings ($4,000.00) by this $100,000.00 for the monitoring of a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season over the next twenty (20) years ... an additional $80,000.00. It should be noted that this individual had originally declined this $10,000.00 donation in January of 2011 since he was not interested in supporting a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario although his colleague was very supportive of one (e-mail on file).

c) He then requested an annual donation of $5,000.00 from me but again I had to decline this request stating that additional funds would not be available until the end of the fifth year (2015) when $1,000.00 would be available, then $2,000.00 at the end of 2016, $3,000.00 at the end of 2016 and so forth.

d) However I did inform him that I would personally contribute $100.00 annually to his organization and I provided him with a $100.00 cheque for 2011 and another $100.00 check for 2012 during our meeting.

I subsequently offered this individual an additional $500.00 "seed" donation to start the fund raising for an Ontario Waterfowl Symposium that he had advised me of. A representative of the CWS responded by stating that the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment would be completed by the time this Ontario Waterfowl Symposium was held and that the CWS would send a biologist to present the findings of the CWS Tundra Swan Season Assessment ... supporting a case for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season (series of e-mails on file).

I continued to personally contribute $100.00 annually to his organization in 2013 and 2014.

Thank you for your comments.

2) Jello ... a representative of the CWS told me in September of 2010 that we would never have a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Canada until someone like me asked for one. The fact that the CWS subsequently decided to conduct a Tundra Swan Season Assessment between 2011 and 2013 following the submission of my Tundra Swan proposal in October of 2010 and a series of supporting documentation early in 2011 speaks for itself. Furthermore this CWS representative sent me an e-mail in 2013 thanking me for all the work that I have done to bring Tundra Swan hunting (back) to Canada (e-mail on file).

I am currently waiting to hear back from the CWS regarding their official position regarding this proposal and possible implementation of it before considering further options.

I only had one (1) contact at the Ministry of Natural Resources (MNR) and he forwarded the documentation that I had provided to his supervisor but I did not receive a response from his supervisor. However I understand that the CWS and the MNR have been having discussions regarding The Removal of the Mute Swan from the List of Protected Species ... another proposal that I had submitted in October of 2010 for consideration.

Although I never heard back from various individuals at the head office of the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters (OFAH) I have been advise that the OFAH Board of Directors is not interested in supporting a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario.

Thank you for your comments.

3) Duck Tales ... as indicated in my letter of October 19, 2014 I was recently encouraged by an individual well known to the waterfowling community not to permit the comments made at our last AGM go unchallenged ... it was not a case of "sniveling" as you have suggested.

4) Donald ... I was prepared to ignore the comments made at our last AGM following my private talk with Mr. Jim Malcolm (President, LPWA) after our AGM was over but other comments were subsequently made. Also see my above response to Duck Tales.

5) Duckman ... see my response to Donald.

Note: One individual had previously referred to my house as a "brothel" within the thread regarding the Improvement to the Causeway about two (2) years ago but the reference was apparently made as a joke and therefore taken as a joke. It would appear that your comment was inappropriate within this thread.

7) DAL ... thank you for your comments.

8) 001kds ... I have discussed the funds that I am contributing to my charitable foundation and the funds that will become available in the future for the benefit of various waterfowl organizations.

Note: You were a bit late with your comment about my windows and you must not be very observant since I installed my window blinds last January. Furthermore I park my truck on my driveway not on my yard as you have claimed.

9) Donald ... only one biologist has requested that he not be included in the c.c. list of my letters. I am not that "outgoing" so I would never think of walking up to a stranger, introduce myself to him and start talking. Perhaps you are but then again you have never walked up to me, introduced yourself to me and started talking to me.

You have accused me of "telling lies" and I consider this a libelous attempt to discredit my reputation. Consequently I must request that you either provide documentation supporting your allegation or promptly retract this comment. I have been rather lenient with you and your previous derogatory comments towards me for reasons beyond the scope of this response. Please do not take advantage of this leniency.

I have received several private e-mails from individuals within the Long Point area who support a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season.

10) 001kds ... I submitted my proposal for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season to the CWS before my new house was built so your allegation was untimely. Perhaps I should mention the fact that the late Dr. D. Ankney had suggested to me that it would be easier and quicker for me to drive to North Carolina to hunt Tundra Swans than to try to get a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season in Ontario. I responded by stating that would not help those waterfowlers who could not go to North Carolina but who like to be able to hunt Tundra Swans in Ontario as provided for within the official management plan (I should still have that e-mail on file).

Note: See my response to Duckman regarding the use of the term "brothel" in your comment.

11) Stomp ... thank you for advising the guys about the "rules of engagement" on this web site.

12) Hardcore ... thank you again for your comments.

13) Donald ... my survey of the LPWA members at our AGM in 2011 indicated a 85% level of support with another 15% level of interest in a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season (I still have the completed surveys on file). Perhaps those who were not supportive or interested did not bother to complete the survey and return it to me.

Furthermore the responses that I have received on the OFAH Hunt Ontario "waterfowl forum" would indicate about a 90% level of support for a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. I have even had a few American watefowlers expressing an interest and support for such a season in Ontario.

14) Hardcore ... I agree that many waterfowlers who do not support this proposal would buy a Tundra Swan tag if they were available.

15) Duck Tales ... you missed the point since I would not buy the Tundra Swan tags for those who did not support this proposal.

In closing I received another private e-mail from an individual early yesterday morning who fully supports a limited (tag only) Tundra Swan season. This individual also stated that the "bullies" on the web site speak their minds more than the rest of the members who support this proposal.

I thank all individuals who have written to me privately and I only request that they write a short note to Mr. J. Hughes as previously requested so that he has an idea of the level of support for this proposal.

Please try to keep this discussion civil as Stomp has requested.

Jerome Katchin, D.V.M.

Last edited:
Hello Waldo,

I prepared my previous post yesterday afternoon and evening.

Please read my thread "Association of Tundra Swan Hunters" for more information and write a letter or e-mail Mr. J. Hughes at the CWS expressing your desire to have the opportunity to hunt Tundra Swans in Ontario as provided for within the official management plan.

Thank you for your support.

Jerome

Well....WE can only hope a guy with this kind of passion....and funds he's willing to spend....is around when the bird watchers, vegans, left wingers, and cottagers, start to tell us we can't continue our sport of shooting and eating tasty birds, or stop rising permit, park, or parking fees.....or owning guns for that matter!!! People in other countries lost their right to hunt little by little....death by a thousand cuts...so to speak.

I'll shake his hand if I ever meet him, give him the benefit of the doubt, learn a few things I'm sure....then go from there.

There's already too much hate in the world....think about it, before you spew your negativity....or just ignore him. Don't forget, your comments will also show the community....the type of person you are.

On another note - I hope he also has a passion for getting an earlier start to the season!

Don.

This is the last thing I will say, so take it any way you want.

The LPWA is an extremely small organization that can be shut down at the blink of an eye, no questions asked. As I am sure you can understand, when there is public uproar, most times the easiest thing to do is to cut off the concern at the source. This means no more LPWA.

The LPWA does have larger reputable organizations like the Ontario Federation of Anglers and Hunters that support and will go to bat for the little guy and because of this the OFAH has to be relied on to a certain extent. If OFAH doesn't agree with the Tundra Swan Proposal, it doesn't seem right that I would.

I understand that Tundra Swan will never let up on this proposal, but if we no longer have the support of the big organizations (I believe DU which is another LPWA supporter is against this as well) as a result of proceeding with this proposal, you may get the opportunity to shoot a swan, but it may not matter as everything else could be lost. The Jerome Waterfowl Foundation, or whatever it is called, will not be a strong enough player on the side of the LPWA.

I love shooting ducks in Long Point, and I don't want that to change. These are my reasons for not supporting the proposal, and understand that everything isn't just black and white.

Good luck hunting this weekend!

Jay

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks