No Extra Tags For 90

trky chsr

According to OOD there will be no additional tags for WMU 90-94 this year. I personally have seen about the same number of deer the last few years in 90, even on public land, but maybe my experience is not typical. TC

In 92 I've actually noticed above average numbers and the buck to doe ratio seems to be looking better balanced also.

I asked this question on OOD too...

I'm confused on this one. I hunt the rifle hunt in November in WMU 47 and applied for a tag in that. I hunt the controlled hunt in December in WMU 90b. If I fill my tag up north in November does this mean I cant buy a tag for the controlled hunt? What about bow tags for 90b?

Last edited:
I asked this question on OOD too...

I'm confused on this one. I hunt the rifle hunt in November in WMU 46 and applied for a tag in that. I hunt the controlled hunt in December in WMU 90b. If I fill my tag up north in November does this mean I cant buy a tag for the controlled hunt? What about bow tags for 90b?

Your confusing tags with permits. Unless you buy additional tags you only get one. If you apply for an antlerless tag that allows you to shoot either a buck or doe but not both. You can still hunt in the controlled hunt without a tag in a group (providing you are drawn for the hunt) but the number of deer taken cannot exceed the number of tags held in the group. Same with bowhunting, if you decide to shoot a doe during bow season your done bowhunting unless you hunt together with a group. You can still hunt up north but again only with a group. When you applied for a "tag" in 46 I'm assuming you applied for an antlerless deer permit. When you buy a deer licence you get one tag for an antlered deer. Anything else you apply for with the exception of additional tags are just permits that allow you to either participate in a certain hunt or allow you to take an antlered or antlerless deer, but not both. TC

Your confusing tags with permits. Unless you buy additional tags you only get one. If you apply for an antlerless tag that allows you to shoot either a buck or doe but not both. You can still hunt in the controlled hunt without a tag in a group (providing you are drawn for the hunt) but the number of deer taken cannot exceed the number of tags held in the group. Same with bowhunting, if you decide to shoot a doe during bow season your done bowhunting unless you hunt together with a group. You can still hunt up north but again only with a group. When you applied for a "tag" in 46 I'm assuming you applied for an antlerless deer permit. When you buy a deer licence you get one tag for an antlered deer. Anything else you apply for with the exception of additional tags are just permits that allow you to either participate in a certain hunt or allow you to take an antlered or antlerless deer, but not both. TC

Yes I understand the difference between the permits and tags, and party hunting. I guess I should have made myself clearer. What I was wondering was... We will only allowed one tag this year in WMU 90, even though I hunt with Bow and shutgun in this WMU , SO basically I really have to choose my deer carefully this year, unless I can get an additional tag for WMU 47 and save my first tag for bow or shotgun in WMU 90.

Last edited:
Yes I understand the difference between the permits and tags, and party hunting. I guess I should have made myself clearer. What I was wondering was... We will only allowed one tag this year in WMU 90, even though I hunt with Bow and shutgun in this WMU , SO basically I really have to choose my deer carefully this year, unless I can get an additional tag for WMU 46 and save my first tag for bow or shotgun in WMU 90.

Yes

I also rifle hunt area 47 and the only additional tags for 47 are bow only tags. I can't believe they took extra tags away this year. I hunt 92 and muzzle load 92c. I shed hunt like crazy in the spring and saw no die off from the hard winter we had. up north experienced a much harder winter then us and they still hand out extra tags up there. I agree with eriebuoy the deer herd in 92 is doing very well.

jeff

Yes I saw the bow only tags for 47 too. I cant believe the two WMUs I hunt, 5 hours apart have no additional tags, Its going to really change the hunts this year...Not sure how much I will get out with the Bow now...I may be in the duck boat banging away more then usual this fall.

I guess we need the pressure from Insurance Companys for more tags....the more accidents vehicles have with deer will produce the need for more tags....

well we had that meeting all across wmu 90,s awhile back with the mnr and jeff yurek, everyone was saying that they are not seeing deer like they use to and also didn,t want shotguns in 92, so the biologist said no extra tags this year in the 90,s as a precaution, not any science behind it or deer counts to justify what they did this year, just as a precaution, but I suspect it was a little tit for tat for getting all reiled up over the meeting but just my opinion

Over the last 8 years or so where I hunt 90 a the deer numbers are defiantly down from what they were in 2000 to 2005
We would kill 20 to 25 deer by wednesday at noon to tag out.
Every year it has slowly progressed to hunting later in the week to even hunting the sunday and not tagging out some years, use to put 10 to 15 deer outta bushes, some days we would go a day with out seeing one last 5 years.
Just what we have seen in our area

Over the last 8 years or so where I hunt 90 a the deer numbers are defiantly down from what they were in 2000 to 2005
We would kill 20 to 25 deer by wednesday at noon to tag out.
Every year it has slowly progressed to hunting later in the week to even hunting the sunday and not tagging out some years, use to put 10 to 15 deer outta bushes, some days we would go a day with out seeing one last 5 years.
Just what we have seen in our area

How many guys in your group? 20-25 deer every year in a given area, think that might have something to do with it? TC

lol depending on the year we would have anywhere from 17-25 plus extra tags.
The extra tags was the whole point to knock down the populations we were just doing our part. When our group was together and all the farmers we hunted with we probably had permission for over 5000 acers. We didnt take more then 4 out of one concession on any year other then one run a guy and his son shot 7 in a bush and 14 still got away, I know a group that kills 40 deer a year with there extra tags in 90. Coyotes are the reason the numbers are down in our area, We would see 2 a year them years now there every where, Girlfreinds cousin seen 9 in a feild the other day.
If you want your extra tags back shoot every fox and yote u see, Got pictures on foxes carring fawns on the cams to
There is also 3 other groups of 15 to 20 guys that hunt the same genral area as we do. Brantford to renton is where all the groups hunted and tagged out to. And come winter we would know of at least 3 groups of 80 plus deer herded up around our spots

I think I know that group in 90. I know what you mean about coyotes, I saw quite a few during my short turkey season this year. They probably have an impact on fawns. Interesting I've never heard of a fox taking a fawn but pictures don't lie. I remember a few years ago I would see close to a hundred deer wintering on the Stelco property but it's been a few years since I've seen that many. I've also seen 100 turkeys flocked up on that property. TC

I can't believe some of the responses from people (not just here, but on different forums too) when it comes to reduced tags. As hunters we're supposed to be conservationists and more concerned about wildlife than anyone else, but as soon as the MNR reduces tags for deer and moose to better the herd everyone is up in arms claiming there is no shortage of animals and it's BS that they'd reduce tags.

Personally, I have no problem with reduced tags as the health of the herd is far more important than hunters filling freezers.

As for people claiming that the MNR reduces tags whenever they want "just because", I can't help but think that aerial surveys and hunter questionnaires play a big part in how many tags are allocated each season.

How about no pushing bush with army's anyone can kill deer hunting like that try sitting and shooting your deer 17 to 25 hunters I don't think that size gang is even legal

How about no pushing bush with army's anyone can kill deer hunting like that try sitting and shooting your deer 17 to 25 hunters I don't think that size gang is even legal

You shouldn't belittle another method of hunting or think that you're higher than those who conduct drives simply because you don't agree with it. Following that logic, literally anyone can sit in a stand and wait for a deer to pass by within gun or bow range. How about no drives or stand hunting at all and we're limited to spot and stalk hunting? It sure is far more challenging and rewarding than any drive or stand style of hunt...

What many people fail to understand is in past years we had a huge overabundance of deer where everyone was seeing deer everywhere. Now that the population has dropped closer to where it should be many people think the deer population is crashing because they can't just setup a stand anywhere in the bush and see deer. Warmer weather during the past few deer seasons has also resulted in less deer sightings due to the deer being more active at night when the temperature is lower. This gives the illusion that there are fewer deer as people are accustomed to seeing the most deer activity during the rut when the deer are simply moving at night.

I've hunted 90 for many years and have never had a problem finding plenty of deer every season. Matter of fact, I have been out 4 times this season trying to stalk within bow range (very hard with noisy leaves on the ground) and have seen 3 different bucks and 5-6 does on public land.

Coyotes are the reason the numbers are down in our area, We would see 2 a year them years now there every where, Girlfreinds cousin seen 9 in a feild the other day. If you want your extra tags back shoot every fox and yote u see, Got pictures on foxes carring fawns on the cams to

Whoever put those ideas in your head couldn't be more wrong.

Spot and stalk sound
You shouldn't belittle another method of hunting or think that you're higher than those who conduct drives simply because you don't agree with it. Following that logic, literally anyone can sit in a stand and wait for a deer to pass by within gun or bow range. How about no drives or stand hunting at all and we're limited to spot and stalk hunting? It sure is far more challenging and rewarding than any drive or stand style of hunt...

What many people fail to understand is in past years we had a huge overabundance of deer where everyone was seeing deer everywhere. Now that the population has dropped closer to where it should be many people think the deer population is crashing because they can't just setup a stand anywhere in the bush and see deer. Warmer weather during the past few deer seasons has also resulted in less deer sightings due to the deer being more active at night when the temperature is lower. This gives the illusion that there are fewer deer as people are accustomed to seeing the most deer activity during the rut when the deer are simply moving at night.

I've hunted 90 for many years and have never had a problem finding plenty of deer every season. Matter of fact, I have been out 4 times this season trying to stalk within bow range (very hard with noisy leaves on the ground) and have seen 3 different bucks and 5-6 does on public land

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks