Good all round duck boat for Norfolk?

fuse

Good afternoon,
I keep thinking I need to hit the lake and other ares to do more hunting. I'm fairly new with water fowling on water. I've been out a few times, thankfully people have been kind and brought me along. So I have a bit of experience.
Now I've come to the decision if I want to go out more, I'm going to need a boat. And now I'm here to ask for input.
For hunting in Norfolk County, Lake Erie and Long Point if you were going to recommend a boat, what would you recommend to me and why? I would like to stay under $10,000 and would be fine with only spending $1,000.
Any thoughts are appreciated.

If your interested in keeping your initial costs down....a fourteen footer with a 10hp on it will get you around the Waterfowl unit area cheaply and safely...you wouldn't be able to hunt the big water and there is a cost to hunt the Unit but overall its a fairly cheap way to get some decent duck shooting.

Not so worried about keeping my initial cost done. I don't want to buy a boat and realize three hunts in "I'm going to need a bigger boat". I was thinking something I may be able to hit some big water with. In case the urge strikes me. I have heard many things. Minimum 16', minimum 20hp. Console drive. etc.

A 16 foot would definitely widen your options to hunt and still allow you to hunt the inner marsh....many of the hunters who do the big water do so with a
18' or better

Was a guy selling a 18 ft lund alaskan. With a 60 hp yamaha. Think wad 9250 or close. Would be a good safe bay boat. Bit big for way back in the marsh may wanna look a couple pages back an see if he still has it. I have a 14 ft wide an deep. With a 30 hp on her. Awesome. Boat. Just will be going bigger after i get a bigger truck to pull it .......

An Alaskan is an excellent choice especially if you're going to be around big water. I have an '04 with a 90 Yamaha set up for fishing everything from theDetroit river to Lake Erie. It will handle big water conditions safely with a ton of useable space for people and gear. A friend has a 16' Alaskan tiller with a 60 Merc. It's also a big safe open rig that might be a good compromise for getting back into the marsh

It seems I may need to boats anyway!
Thank you for the starting info on my search(es).

For an all around duck boat stick to a 14 footer with a 10 to 15 hp on it. Gives you the ability to hunt both puddle duck and divers when they move into the area. Myself and by brother hunted out of one for years and still target puddle ducks with it, however I now have an 18 foot lund to layout hunt and target divers late in the season as thats what I prefer to target. If you are just starting out you have to decide what you want to hunt and the freedom with a smaller boat is you can pick what to target depending on the time of year and weather. On most days a 14 foot boat will get you out in the marsh and to the outside but you have to know the weather. A boat is only the beginning of the costs when it comes to hunting ducks, bigger water means bigger spread in most cases. Another thing to consider is water levels are high now and I can remember not long ago fighting shallow water with a 14 footer to get out of the marsh and levels will drop again. Hope this helps a little just my thoughts over the years of hunting

any low cost ideas on how to camo or conceal a red lund..I want to hunt the shooting stakes at rondeau..its boat access only..if I remember buddy concealed his boat when we were there with these grass mats and then we walked the boat back in behind and hid the boat in the marsh...how many grass mats would you need to cover a 14 footer...is there a brand name for them and where to buy....thanks ahead...

For lower cost common you can't beat a roll of burlap just stick your oars and a punt in the mud around your boat rap yourself in.

bimini hardware and emt !!!
I have made a couple, you can custom build any blind to your specific needs and modify as you need , its very simple.
I used plastic chicken fencing and then buy grass mats or rafia grass attach it or use actual cattails or grass.

I have a 16' Lund SSV with a 30hp Etec. It has been fantastic around the bay. The SSV is a V hull but is considered a "shallow V". I can get it into some pretty shallow and tight areas with it. I built a scissor blind for it that completely covers the entire boat with extra grass covers for the top. Loaded down with myself, a buddy, 6 dozen decoys, a 100lb dog, and the rest of the gear I can still get a 22mph top speed with the 30hp tiller. It handles waves very well. Its little bumpy given that its light and flatter on the bottom, but I don't get much spray when loaded down in waves. Empty it'll top out at 30mph.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks