ont. spring bear spot n stalk 2017

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Shot this bad boy friday night ranged at 227 yds..ya way up in WMU 19 ...you can see the shoulder shot...took out the top of his heart with a 140 grain nosler accubond with my .270 wsm...very happy with the performance using my new cartridge...he was down within a few seconds with the classic death moan...ontario spring bear 2017 010.JPG

ontario spring bear 2017 013.JPG
I hunted 3 days. First day I had an amazing size giant feeding at well over 400+ yds....got a stalk on him and closed the distance to a hundred for a lay down rest shot and couldn't get the cross hairs on him...he started foraging towards me and then his head went up quick and walked off into the cover...that was a WOW moment...
ontario spring bear 2017 019.JPG
This bear was perfect size for eatin and taxidermy. He dressed out at 230 so add 17% gives you a 270 lb bear.
Ya to sum it up the action was great...I seen 5 singles.. 4 were shooters...far better reward then huntin over bait... The walleye and trout fishin was also good numbers and quality. lots of wildlife too.. from moose to sandhill cranes...highly reccomend makin the trip...and inexpensive too.

I just stayed at a fish camp and rented a decent cabin..a little rustic ...$245 for a week is cheap..I or we always rent a cabin to spring fish and or fall hunt..I hate sleeping on the ground in a tent but I have done that camping on our crown lands ..... so ya I went huntin into new territory in 19 on old forestry cut roads where you typically hunt moose...I was in to bear sign in no time... Northern Ontario boreal forest is loaded with black bear....the oppurtunity and locations are endless...and now you can shoot up to 3 bears at $50.69 each... 2 spring.. 1 fall

I used a butcher/hunter in Hearst to cut and wrap my bear.. well he took out his phone and ran a 1 minute video for me to watch...WOW

you gotta watch it.. google hearst archery bear hunter gets attacked you tube

..and that native french man was looking for Mr. big...hmmm.. now that was one grumpy bear...lol

some of the bears up there have become an ongoing nuisance.. one night shots rang out down the road at 3 am...ya there was a bear getting into something causing a rucus...omg

I was also warned that the black bear up there will rip your hound dogs apart...so I would forget about running your dogs up there..but I do have that on the to do list with a bear hunter near bracebridge area.. apparently it can be a very exciting hunt?

it was all fishermen up there and those walleyes taste great...I didn't see one bear hunter and it was just a few locals out huntin..

Just got back from 19 myself on Saturday. I shot one but not as nice as yours. I did the outfitter with bait but ended up taking mine on a spot and stock at 165 yards. They weren't hitting the baits. First Bear! For me. Stayed at lower twin lakes lodge. Great cabin and the walleye fishing was excellent! Took him with my .270 130 grain sst and it did a great job! Lungs and he only went 25 yards. Just getting into loading my own and was proud of the results!

Congrats hunter 96 getting your first bear, good shooting...I bet you were pumped..it sounds like you pulled it off just like i did..and thats a nice looking boar ..i can tell with the pumpkin head on it...don't forget bear meat is sweet and delicious meat, make sure you cook it all the way thru...ya I have an idea where you were on lower twin...we stayed at one of pennocks cabins on lower twin lake fall moose huntin up in 18A...i think ont. spring bear huntin will catch on...but then will wait and see how long the pilot project lasts...

thats great you got your .270 rifle zerod in with your reload cartridge..that is a confidence builder...ya an SST thats a hornady bullet...i use one in my muzzleloader load for deer huntin

Last edited:
well Hunter96 I do get my deer cut and wrapped in the area during the fall hunting season. The last business we used was Appin BBQ service & catering. he is located west between Mt Brydges and Glencoe at 5959 Glendon Dr. His name is Vic Melo. He has a butcher shop.
The phone number is 519-289-5000. He also caped my 10 pointer for a shoulder mount. If you wanted to get the bear hide tanned...Matt at bluewater taxidermy will scrap & salt & ship the hide to a tannery in montreal...

Just to mention I try to line up a butcher before I go and hunt...that way the meat will be cut & wrapped and ready for the freezer when i get home...just pack a couple of large quality coolers
The hearst butcher/hunter I used for my spring bear did a good job and I will use him again...
I hope that helps..ya just wondered what you got for a rifle.. I see its a classic synthetic stainless..I don't recognize the.. I think floor plate..I won't say the S word...lol

Last edited:
I use a butcher in Elmira every year for deer who makes the best summer sausage around but when I called when I got back he is closed due to improper paper work. So he says. Be a month before he's up and running. That is a savage weather warrior in a boydes stock. Pillar beaded and free floated barrel that I did myself. It has a monarch scope. Shots dime size pattern at 100 yards all day with my reloads. My fist build! Wouldn't trade it for the world! Lol great shoting gun.

hey 96 I knew it was the S word but i just couldn't say it...lol...it does look good .. nice to hear you got it shootin under moa accuracy..

It is my experience to get my game butchered where I hunt...like the northerners and quebecers are good at cuttin up moose and bear with the different cuts of meat...same with caribou out N east.. ya alberta elk too
if you go up again the guy in hearst his name is Luke his cell is #705-362-2078..the shop is called fresh off the block $120 for my size bear..lots of good meat...I don't cut or grind or wrap meat no more...its $80 buck for a deer ...thats the goin rate...I like the big salamis done at Mt Brydges abbitoir..

Last edited:
Thanks for the info! Will save that number. I got it late Thursday so didn't have time to get it done there. Excited to try the meat. I hear it's good!

Have you guys thought about butchering and deboning your game animals yourself......most lodges or camps have spots to hang your animal, and should have a table and walk in blast freezer.....it takes me about 30 min to skin an animal and about an hour to debone it, less if not cutting roasts and stakes (I usually put all my bear meat into pepperettes or summer sausage) While up north east of Cochrane we got 1 bear for 2 guys (I passed up 4 on spot and stock and 1 while sitting on bait) we hung it on truck off boat carrier (pic in fishing report under Cochrane ont) the next day we skinned it and deboned it @ camp site ....dumped scrapes 10miles down logging roads for wolves and ravens. later that day we drove to town and put meat in fridge freezer @ uncles chalet

i just wondered what you bear hunters did with your bear hide, did you get them tanned, or give away to the natives or turned them in...i got mine tanned.
my hide turned out very nice...something i am happy with and not go to waste

Last edited:
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks