Fishing Report Hot Rainbow Action Port glasgow July 28th

mick

R.O.C. (Radio Operator's Certificate)
Today was a great weather day to head out and do some trout fishin!!! The marine weather was perfect with light winds and over cast sky..anyway later this afternoon I headed out SSE from glasgow lookin at the 64+ fow where I found some fish last time out..I spent some extra time lookin around for fleas and fish that i found last week in this area east to the eagle radio tower...my sonar did reveal a thermocline up high in the 25 fow...but there was not much to start puttin out my spread...so I carried on out to 69 to 70 fow..right away I started marking bait up high and schools of smelt right on bottom...

so I started out runnin copper spoons specifically the jerry lee copper glow and the copper confusion both in the mini size by silver streak setting them off the riggers on each side.. I also set a slider off each rigger setting one ball at 60 ft and the other ball a 4 lb tru trac at 55 fow.. .immediately i had a knock off with a min copper confusion silver streak gettin hit hard on the slider.. after 4 jumps then burnin drag like a king salmon...it took me a bit to land this 8 lber anyway the bait i did find in the area were small pods of smelt right on bottom...i actually hooked a smelt to confirm the bait i was markin on bottom were smelt...Anyway the trout fishin was incredible ..i hooked well over 14 rainbows landing 8 and keepng my 5 fish limit...these rainbows were fightin so hard to get off they were jumping right out of the net some even twice...lol...one guy back at the launch said he was getting a bigger net...lol as they were jumping right out of his net...Anyway I have a couple GPS waypoints if you wanted to get out to this specific area to catch some good quality rainbows size running around 4+ to 8lbs..perfect eating size for the smoker...some guys were complaining on catchin smaller trout up high in the 65 fow ...there was a few pics caught in the 65 fow ...same deal with lots of turns and up and down with the speed which helped get more hook ups...send me a pm if you would like the GPS numbers for this general area of schools of smelt and quality rainbows...good luck out there...

Last edited:
Excellent day of fishing Mick I'm gonna go play down there again Sunday and Monday weather permitting , hoping for a couple pics but the rainbows sure know how to put on a show!!

Hey Chipper, some info for your ignorance.....

Trout and salmon have a swim bladder which is connected to their esophagus via a small duct, thus allowing them to release excess pressure quite quickly in comparison to many other species including walleye and perch. Hence the reason I would bet you've never seen a steelie with its swim bladder protruding from its mouth;) Maybe you should save your trolling for the lake....

Josh

Last edited:
Great report Mick...the bows on Erie are out of control this year!!
You've been at this game for a while;)...whats your take on the walleye? The bows have set up nice in the semi-predictable areas....where are the eyes? They just seem scattered (except for Pelee)??

Hey Chipper, thanks for the heads up, but learned my lesson after having to pull my spread to go back and pick it up.

Josh, you are also correct , never seen a steelie with its swim bladder protruding from its mouth.

But on the other hand i have yet to see one swim away.

So if a rainbow makes it to my deck, your tablefare.

I caught a 7lb rainbow last night out of Bruce . As I am the only one in my family that enjoys trout, and I have three fish still in the fridge/ freezer at home, I attempted to revive it, no swim bladder came out, but the fish didn't live, so .... Another one for the smoker. I think the fight takes a lot out of them..... Just my guess , but like You said @smokey1 , they don't seem very hearty one landed.

I'm sure the seagulls appreciated you throwing rainbows back caught at 55 and 60 down.

Mick takes the time to post a great detailed report and all you can do to resort to a negative uneducated one sentence reply. fyi, I have successfully released salmon form Lake Ontario that have come up from 175'. You may want to rethink your intentions before replying or simply not reply at all.

Wow Mick this post sure went sour !! I believe every fish is different and we all do what we can to prevent any waste of our resources.. I've personally had rainbows flopping around violently 20 mins after putting them in my cooler !! And sometimes cicumstances are uncontrollable!!! I thought this forum was here to help each other ?

Maybe mick should re-read some of his bs responses to others post and would see why most could care less if he caught a fish ot not. Sit and cut everything and everyone up long enough and it came back on him!
Lmfao his "dummie list" says exactly what I'm talking about.

Hey DaveJ well i was out walleye fishin on tuesday 5:30 am only to find a tug pullin a gill net off an inshore reef I started fishin last july..there was a handfull of us that took limits of walleye off it last season...I am now puttin some time into fishin Glasgow...those rainbows were full of smelt so I would think there should be more walleyes out there...I did here of a few limits of walleye caught in the last week...but when you ask the bait shop like i did yesterday...the guy says the walleye are out 40 to 70 feet deep...lol...well ok

Hey there Jim none of my fish went belly up even in the surface bath water...i don't touch most of my fish with a hand or a net if i plan on releasing it...I grip the treble at the base with needlenose pliers and give it a shake... rainbows to sheephead...I find that is the best way to release most fish to swim away is not to touch them...same thing with a 30+ lb musky on LSC...I use pliers and don't touch the fish

Yes perch 420 you were one of the first to go on the list...you have given more flack on here then anyone

Lmfao sweet I'm on some comped out lazy wanna be fishing guides list!! Awesome thank you I'm honored

ya thanks for explaining that Josh Roelofsen!....historically I have successfully released all of my lake trout on lake erie out from the deep waters of long point including one trophy over 20lbs!!!...also all of my lake trout caught on lake huron and in owen sound bay...some of these fish were very deep and water temperature sensitive as they prefer some of the coldest fresh waters...its satisfying to know now that pressure is not a factor...it was also satisfying to watch your trout swim straight down like i witnessed yesterday...some of the hardest fish to regain there strength for a successful release are some of the billfish including marlin and sailfish...time is needed to help revive the exhausted billfish...something i think cards on deck is referrin too

Maybe mick should re-read some of his bs responses to others post and would see why most could care less if he caught a fish ot not. Sit and cut everything and everyone up long enough and it came back on him!
Lmfao his "dummie list" says exactly what I'm talking about.

Lmfao sweet I'm on some comped out lazy wanna be fishing guides list!! Awesome thank you I'm honored

@perch420... some wisdom if you care to accept it.
"Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt." - Abraham Lincoln

Hey DaveJ well i was out walleye fishin on tuesday 5:30 am only to find a tug pullin a gill net off an inshore reef I started fishin last july..there was a handfull of us that took limits of walleye off it last season...I am now puttin some time into fishin Glasgow...those rainbows were full of smelt so I would think there should be more walleyes out there...I did here of a few limits of walleye caught in the last week...but when you ask the bait shop like i did yesterday...the guy says the walleye are out 40 to 70 feet deep...lol...well ok

Hey there Jim none of my fish went belly up even in the surface bath water...i don't touch most of my fish with a hand or a net if i plan on releasing it...I grip the treble at the base with needlenose pliers and give it a shake... rainbows to sheephead...I find that is the best way to release most fish to swim away is not to touch them...same thing with a 30+ lb musky on LSC...I use pliers and don't touch the fish

Yes perch 420 you were one of the first to go on the list...you have given more flack on here then anyone

Thanks Mick!!
There were a bunch of eyes west of Erieau at the start of the season..at the horseshoe...and super shallow. I think they were busting schools of smelt in the warmer water. They seem to have moved, and I think they're N of the point towards Glascow. At least, that's where I'm gonna look for them. I've also heard of some eyes at Glascow. With the bows still shallow off the point, you gotta wonder if the eyes aren't shallow too....if the bows are there on the smelt, the eyes should be under them. Might be worth a day dragging body baits.

I agree with you're bow release strategy. Those fish have NO probs with recovery. I think they get a bit stunned and tired and will hang around the surface, but often that's the zone they're in, so no harm.

@mick... I agree with @DaveJ. Like you I always released bows and kings in Lake Ontario by pulling the hooks at boat side and had very little problem with their recovery. The odd one would need some reviving but most headed back down totally unharmed. I only netted them if they were hogs just to get a photo or two before releasing them.

However, the ones I catch on Erie are not so fortunate... their survival rate is zero after they see the inside of my smoker. :D

Hey @DaveJ..East of Erieau Pt there is one Erieau tug workin inshore walleye right infront of clearville in 25 fow out to 55 fow...he has been workin a series of walleye nets aggressively throughout that entire basin 4 or 5 miles east of erieau point to clearville....we or I can not compete with the gill net especially inshore...

so i am going to give glasgow another go next week offshore 60+ plus for pics...My strategy is to hopefully get back in that water column where I found the smelt in the 69 to 70 fow SSE off Glasgow..location is everything!...When I fish pickeral I fish a combo of bodybaits specifically shiners and redfins..I have yet to run harnesses offshore and I think thats what it might take...I remember back when we did have a challenging season for locating and catchin pickeral out here in the central basin and I finished out a tough season with several limts trollin erie dearies with worms off the riggers...lol...I know for one thing i am avoiding the offshore waters out off Stanley including the 68 fow...why? there are way to many silvers to contend with...I averaged only 3 pics per trip off stanley last July...so that inshore reef I fished last July really made up the difference...and it wasn't anything fancy...taildancers off inline planers boxing 2 limits and another 3 fish early am.

absoulutley Dave I was down there for 1 trip on the large spawned out hens west of the rifle range towards dealtown...remember that was before the derby... the last 2 weeks of June....can i get a raincheck on that walleye bite please...lol.

hey @Wave Runner I also fished Lake O for the August and Sept. salmon usually out of Port Credit...like you we would net the occasional brute for a few pictures and then release them unharmed..

Fishin the plentiful rainbows the other day was very entertaining. i was not hurting a thing continuing to hook & catch and release rainbows. I know in the past rainbows can become weakened in the warm surface water and can go belly up...that was not the case that evening...if it was an issue i would of stopped with putting fish number 5 in the box.

Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Advertising is what keeps Channel 6-8 on the air. To this end, please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker. If you would prefer an ad-free experience, but would still like to help support site operations, please consider making a donation.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks